Asked on Mar 1, 2018

What is the best time to reseed my yard?

P McCammonGrandmasue10Peter
+4

I had my daughters 2 giant schnauzer dogs for 4 months and my yard shows it...It now looks like a cow pasture with holes and clumps of grass and lots of areas with just dirt!

Janet Pizaro

Location is needed for the proper answer
  • Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

Rake it over, remove the debris and then over seed with a good quality grass seed, lightly rake again and water well until it sprouts. Buy the seed that the birds cannot eat. If y8ou can get your hands on some oat seeds throw it into your grass seed. It will come up first to hold the soil and moisture and will die back once you cut the lawn.
  • Depends on where you live, you want to wait until the heavy frost threat is gone. here is a link I think might help you
  • Peter
    Peter

You actually don't need to wait for last frost... but your germination rate will be lower.
    If you seed prior to a snowfall, the moisture is guaranteed, the seed is covered (protects from birds) and the snow insulates the seed long enough to help germination! (it's called snow mulch)
    There is NO such seed that birds don't eat! Oat is as good as Winter rye... rye is a grass that will germinate in cold weather and roots fast... does what the post above claims oat will do. (easier to find).
  • Grandmasue10
    Grandmasue10

It depends on your planting 'zone'. Usually May is a rainy month and a good time to seed. I would ask your local nursery store. Or go to a website that sells seed.
  • P McCammon
    P McCammon

In the fall just before frost.