Backyard walkout extension

+16
Want to turn walkout into a little patio. What's the easiest material to use to increase the size of my walkout? The walkout is cement.

• Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Mar 02, 2018
    You could use pavers. They come in all sizes and shapes And prices. Or how about flat stone in different shapes.
  • Jessi Love Jessi Love on Mar 02, 2018
    Lattice?
  • Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Mar 02, 2018
    I think square pavers might be your best bet. Here is a link to what other Hometalker's have done. Maybe one of these will inspire you. https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=patio
  • Barb Adams Barb Adams on Mar 02, 2018
    I think the material used should be hard surface and the height of the original cement pad (or higher if using wood that covers the walkout). That would mean adding additional concrete surface, using pavers or stone, or building a wooden deck that either covers or adjoins the walkout. None of these options are all that easy and require a bit of hard work and site prep, but are probably best suited for your project. Or, possibly you could you use the walkout as leading to your patio and use any surface you chose, including rocks/pebbles or wood chips. This also requires some prep but may take less time and be easier than the hardscape methods. I would watch some videos before deciding which way to go with your project. Good Luck!
  • Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Mar 02, 2018
    I really like flagstone. Either with irregular flagstone or square pavers, plant some walkable plants in the cracks to take over the areas between the paving stones and keep weeds to a minimum. Thyme is a very fragrant option for this.
  • Jcraw Jcraw on Mar 02, 2018
    Depending on how large your area is, and how flat, and how much water it it holds, you’ll need to put down stone Quantity dependent on how area puddles. I’d put a layer of water-permeable landscape fabric underneath to discourage weeds. After that, your choices are unlimited, except for your wallet.
  • Patty S Patty S on Mar 02, 2018
    I increased the size of mine with paving bricks. Dig and level the area, lay landscape cloth down to deter weeds, then a layer of sand that packs well level it With a board dragged across it. Lay the brick in any design, herring bone is pretty.
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Mar 02, 2018
    Pavers would be beautiful. Cement may be cheaper. Break up and remove the old walkout first if you want a prettier area. ☺️
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Mar 02, 2018
    Pavers are very nice but can be expensive. You could extend it with more cement. If you want a paver look, you could stamp the concrete. You use rebar to connect the two, then pour an extra inch on top of the old, and skimcoat the sides. Then it won't look like two different pieces.
  • Sharon Sharon on Mar 03, 2018
    Decomposed granite and pavers
  • Pme30005316 Pme30005316 on Apr 23, 2018
    ??????????????????????????????????