Discarded Drawer to Wall Craft Organizer

$45

I recently found this cabinet drawer sitting on a curb waiting to be discarded. NOT...in my car it went knowing that it could be used for something along the way.
Rescued Cabinet Drawer
When I recently moved into a small condo, my even smaller lanai became my workspace. Knowing I would have to get creative with organizing and storage, the rescued cabinet drawer seemed perfect to convert into a wall organizer.
Annie Sloan to the Rescue
I decided to paint the interior and exterior side and bottom wood in Annie Sloan Pure White Chalk Paint.
Polycrylic Protection
While I usually use wax on my chalk paint projects, I decided to use 2 coats of Minwax Polycrylic because I knew the organizer would get a lot of use and the lanai gets hot from the Florida sun.
Cactus Kitch
I decided to add a fun cactus print to the bottom of the drawer which would become the back of the wall organizer.
Creativity Meets Versatility
Because the drawer was going to be drilled into a concrete wall and I didn’t want masonry screws to show, a piece of foamboard was cut to the size of the drawer bottom. Fabric was glued to the foamboard which will enable me to use the back as a bulletin board also.
No Knobs Needed But..
My rescued drawer was missing the original knobs. While this project did not require using any knobs, I had these 2 ceramic ones which matched the cactus print so they joined the process.
Magnets & Lights
Since I’m always trying to find my paint can opener, razor blade, small scissors or screwdriver, I decided to add a magnetic metal strip to keep these close at hand. Luckily, the holes to screw the magnetic strip into wood matched perfectly with the holes for the drawer knobs.

Knobs placed through holes, magnetic strip positioned on bolt and nut affixed to hold both pieces.

A leftover rechargeable LED light strip was positioned on the bottom to allow extra light on work surface.
Dowel Does It
Holes were drilled on each side of drawer to enable a dowel rod to be inserted in front of fabric.

After everything seemed correct, fabric panel and dowel rod were removed to allow drawer to be drilled in place on wall with Tapcon masonry fasteners.
Finishing Touches
All I needed to add was a roll of paper towel, basket for sand blocks, tin for brushes and my current project paints. Magnetic strip has my paint can opener, scissors, razor blade and other items as I need them. And, when creativity keeps going after the sun goes down, I have my lanai overhead light and my organizer LED light.
Drawer Discard to Creativity Companion
That discarded drawer on the side of the street is now center stage in my lanai workspace.

• Anne Davies

After seeing this a few days ago I was inspired. Today I was in a resale store & found some drawers- I got one for $1.25! Can’t wait to fix it up!! Thanks so much for inspiring me!! 😊👍🏻

• Teresa

So, I have a question for you. I have an old bird house, and I've done some painting to it. But I'm not satisfied yet. If I send you a picture, do you think you might be able to give me some ideas on how to restore it. It will be outside.

• Sharron Bennett

The shelf is really functional for you and such a neat idea. Great job!!