Any DIY projects to reduce humidity in Home from crawlspace

+4
  • Shoshana Shoshana on Mar 04, 2018
    I think investing in a dehumidifier would be your most effective solution.
    • Ljm7065838 Ljm7065838 on Mar 04, 2018
      Thank you Shoshana for your reply. I have used a dehumidifier with limited results and my electric bill was very costly.
  • Annette Foley Annette Foley on Mar 04, 2018
    Lay plastic down over the ground in your crawlspace. It creates a barrier and keeps the moisture from getting up into your house.
    • Ljm7065838 Ljm7065838 on Mar 04, 2018
      Thank you Annette for your reply. I note that there is a plastic barrier; however, it does not cover the entire area in the crawlspace. I will immediately have the plastic installed to cover every inch of the space. That along with a dehumidifier should eliminate so much moisture in the home.
  • William William on Mar 04, 2018
    Laying plastic down is a start. Insulating the floor joists would also help in preventing moisture from migrating up into the living quarters. Making sure the crawl space is ventilated properly will help in keeping it dry.
    • Ljm7065838 Ljm7065838 on Mar 04, 2018
      Thank you William for your reply. Although some insulation is available in the crawlspace, it must not be enough so I will definitely check out the entire area and will insulate properly or where insulation is missing. Having the proper dehumidifier, plastic barrier and insulation should help reduce the moisture and mildew smell.