How do I go about replacing a broken panel of glass on a front door?

+5
This winter one panel of decorative glass shattered in our stained glass section of our front door. I have been reading on replacing it and watching YouTube videos. It doesn’t look that hard. Any ideas where to get the glass, precut and any extra tips! Whe the glass broke we felt a wind coming in the house and found pieces on the floor. To get us through the cold winter and stop the draft my husband wanted to duct tape cardboard on it. I thought about gluing it to get us through the winter. Then an easier thought came to me. Hot glue. Worked like a charm and insulated small areas that glass was missing. Doesnt look too bad for an emergency fix! Now back to the original question any ideas or tips on replacing it?
q how do i go about replacing a broken panel of glass on a front door
The piece is about 8“x2” with only a slight curve.
  • Geew Geew on Mar 03, 2018
    A glass guy can have that replaced in no time. They aren't as expensive as you might think. For the amount of time and money you or your husband would spend getting a piece cut and installing it correctly, you more than likely would save over half if not more time and money by just getting a glass guy.
  • Emily Emily on Mar 03, 2018
    I agree it is a job for a professional.
  • Shoshana Shoshana on Mar 04, 2018
    Best of luck on this!
  • Sharon Dike Sharon Dike on Mar 04, 2018
    Im married to a glass guy. Yes you can do it yourself. Just measur the space , go to a local glass shop and order a piece to be cut. All you then nedd is a tube of window glue, a caulking gun and perhaps alitle friendly advece from the glass shop. It is cheaper to do it yourself and even fun knowing that you handled it yourself. Its not like you will be replacing a large window on your own. I clearly disagree with the others.

• Debbie Koehne Whipple Debbie Koehne Whipple on Mar 04, 2018
      Thank you. We figured it would be a fun challenge and what is the worse that can happen? We need to get a pro to do it if we mess up. Thank you for the encouragement!
  • Dee Dee on Mar 05, 2018
    The worst that can happen is you break the glass, getting home, or putting it in and cutting your hands. Have a glass guy do it.