How do I block my neighbors ugly shed?

+11
I have a large deck area that I would like to enjoy BUT when I go outside I get the great view of my neighbors ugly shed that stands approx. 16 feet high and his camping trailer which is large.
Although I have a privacy fence that is 6 feet tall this ugly shed and camper exceeds it. Town ordinance says I cannot go any higher on my fence by adding lattice to the top.
I can build a pergola or a screen of some type to the height of my house gutters.
I would like any type of suggestion for something that will not stand out and look like my neighbors ugly shed and camper to the neighborhood but block the view and give me more privacy.
I look forward to receiving feed back and your suggestions. forgive me I am sorry I don't have a photo .
Thank You
q how do i block my neighbors ugly shed
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Mar 03, 2018
    I would go with the pergola and screen. Here are some ideas that might help. Good luck.

• Geew Geew on Mar 03, 2018
    Yard Shade Sail as an alternative suggestion. They are colorful and aesthetic.

Mount the lower ends to your fence (not like they show here on higher posts), to close any visual gap, and mount the outer ends on taller poles to create an angle

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 03, 2018
    I would install a gazebo and face it a different position to block them out
  • Deb K Deb K on Mar 03, 2018
    Go with lattice and plant or hang stuff on it. It will look tasteful, and you can get it in plastic so no painting.
  • Gin31256260 Gin31256260 on Mar 03, 2018
    I think you are on the right lines with the pergola idea. If it was my problem what I would do, do the sails ideas and let them over hang so they hang down a foot or more depending the height of the frame work ,or, another idea would be to hang narrow trellis from the cross bars. Thus creating a perfect framework for climbing plants or even shallow panels of sail, bunting like. Hope this helps to give you some inspiration. Good luck.
  • Betsy Betsy on Mar 03, 2018
    Sure, if you have space, plant Lombardy trees. They grow kind of straight up, 8 to 10 feet a year and grow about 50 feet. In 3 years, they should be about 30 feet:) Plant them about 5 feet apart. They grow all over the USA.
  • Eil22229440 Eil22229440 on Mar 03, 2018
    First, is that shed within the local laws? If not, get the city to take action. However, first advice would be to have a friendly talk with the neighbor, explain your concerns and try to be reasonable.
    If that becomes a losing battle, maybe you could plant fast growing whatever to hide the view. Remember you and she may be living closely for many years. Be reasonable.
  • Macysmom Macysmom on Mar 03, 2018
    wow! the sails look amazing...love it!
  • Lynn Cullingham Lynn Cullingham on Jun 10, 2020

I’m trying to figure out how to do the same ... was wondering what you finally did.

thanks Lynn