Painted Ceiling Fan

$10

After a small mishap with an overflowed toilet on the second floor I found myself replacing a ceiling fan in my living room.

Then I saw the old white filthy fan in my kitchen and decided I hated it.

I took it down, took the whole thing apart and scrubbed it clean.

Spray painted 3 coats of hammered bronze.

I painted the blades to resemble weathered wood. I dry brushed 3 colors of acrylic paint. Black, Bark Brown and Heather Gray.

Let it all dry overnight put it all back together and put it up.

I didn't like the typical frosted glass domes so I used these cage domes. That I ordered on Amazon.

I'm not sure if I'm going to leave them black or paint them bronze as well. Opinions welcome on that.

I still need to replace the light bulbs cuz those look awful.

But I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

With the clear LED Edison bulbs.

Much better.

• AKP

How do you like the Edison bulbs? I love the look of the bulbs, but I am not sure I would like the amber glow. That is how it is described on the packaging anyway. Do they put out enough light? For instance, I think they would look great in our bathroom light fixture, but I am hesitant to purchase, is it good enough light to apply make-up, for my husband to shave, etc? Thank you for your input.

Love the fan as well. We moved into a new house in June. There are currently 7 ceiling fans. The are all very outdated! Some we may paint, others we will replace. One has faux wood and wicker blades... any advice on THAT ???

• Janet Carey

some wick fan blades are plain on the flip side, check that out before ditching them

• Jody Price

I love the black cages, but they might look ever better bronze with the Edison bulbs..?

• D

I like the cages black. Nice contrast. You seriously dismantled the whole mechanics of the fan? Oi. I have an enormous ceiling fan with light in our family room that I positively hate. Its 16' up but so ugly. Sprayed with a tone that would coordinate with our remodel & replace the ugly dark brown light bowl- then maybe. Not sure I can find a replacement bowl. I'd like to just remove it and put a really cool light/chandelier, but hubs says we need the fan due to the vaulted ceiling. Good job. An economical solution, since fans can be expensive. 👍

• Joanie

I love your style and the entire ceiling fan looks wonderful, as is!!

• Shelly

Well u asked I think you should do the cage things in bronze as well