A Fireplace Makeover (with Video Tutorial)

$120

Our fireplace was a big eyesore. It was dull and ugly, and I needed to do something to improve it since replacing it was not an option ($$$).

This is how it looked before. I know... meh.
First I removed the doors. After cleaning and taping the black area, I brushed one coat of Fusion Mineral Paint Ultra-Grip. This product is a kind of clear primer, perfect for tricky surfaces like tiles and metal. I used it to paint my kitchen backsplash (check out my post on that) and loved it!
Next I brushed one coat of Fusion Mineral Paint "Ash".
Once my base color was dry, I mixed two metallic colors (silver and black pearl) by Modern Masters and brushed them horizontally on the surface. Check out my video tutorial at the end of this post to see how I did this part.
I cleaned and taped the doors and also applied the ultra-grip on the frame and handles to ensure a good adherence of the paint.
Next I brushed two coats of Modern Masters metallic paint, silver.
After the silver paint was dry, I brushed General Finishes Pitch Black Glaze on the frame and immediately wiped the excess with baby wipes (see the process on my video below).
I painted the handles with Fusion Mineral Paint, "Ash". A beautiful dark gray.
To finish it off, I sealed all surfaces with General Finishes Water Based Top Coat, satin.

This is how it looks now! And if you want more details on this project and on the barn wood wall I installed as well, check out my blog post with all the details!
Pat Rios | The Wood Spa

• Foy29685027

Did I miss something? You’re introduction pic just shows white then you’re finished fireplace shows wood like planks covering the wall.. was that there and I missed it or did you add that too?

• Debra Lloyd

Does the heat affect the paint?

• Rebecca L guertler

did you know that you can wash the fireplace glass door with wood ash and water it will come clean

• Denise Ferree

I did not know that, will have to try as my fireplace doors are nasty dirty. Thank you.