Robin Corzilius
Robin Corzilius
  • Cherokee, IA
Asked on Mar 5, 2018

Best time to plant Hyacinth?

FRESHCUTKYJanet PizaroRhonda Brooks
+3

I received blooming Hyacinth for Valentines Day. Do I plant the bulbs as soon as the ground is diggable? (zone 4) I am watering them and keeping the foliage growing.

• Brenda

In the fall works best.
  • Amy Ogden-Paparone

Planting. Plant hyacinth bulbs in autumn, before your first fall frost. Plant the bulbs 4 inches deep and a minimum of 3 inches apart. At the northern limits of their hardiness (zone 4), plant 6 to 8 inches deep.
  • Rhonda Brooks

It sounds crazy but you plant it in February. Put thebare bulbs in a paper bag and put in thecrisper drawer in you Refrigerator until February then plant. Make sure the pointed end is pointing up.

spring bulbs should be planted in the fall.to force them inside place in soil, water and put in a sunny location.Once the ground is workable you can then plant them
  • FRESHCUTKY

Was it blooming in a pot? Keep it in a sunny place. Let the foliage die back naturally, then plant the bulb in the fall. It will likely bloom againnext year, but the flowers often get smaller and not as full.

- Tonya (freshcutky)
    Watch 500+ FREE Gardening Videos and Tutorials! Click Below!