February Flip; Teri Blake

$10

Our awesome art and DIY Facebook group; Creative Blessing hosts contests almost every month. They give opportunity to our members to win some cool prizes and try new mediums. Here is Teri's Flip entry !
february flip teri blake
Here is my flip. This was a bookshelf that my dad made in shop class back in the 1950s! I would normally strip or sand the piece first for real wood, but this was a quick project that my daughter requested for her classroom.
february flip teri blake
I made grey chalk paint from an "oops" paint mixed with Plaster of Paris. Then I SPiT it, using Blue Thunder, Dragon's Belly green, Zia teal, Purple Hill Majesty, White Ning, and Midnight's Blackness.
february flip teri blake
Blending technique used with Unicorn SPiT:  rubbing them in with the grain and occasionally spritzing with water to help the color move.
february flip teri blake
 I was originally going to just do the horizontal surfaces but then decided that I wanted some of the SPiT areas to show if the shelves were covered, so I also did the vertical outside edges.
february flip teri blake
. I sealed with 3 coats of wipe-on poly on the grey surfaces and 3 coats of gloss, brush-on poly on the SPiT surfaces.
february flip teri blake
 That's it, quick and easy, and my daughter is so excited to show it to her students! 

• Unicorn spit
  • Poly

• Karen

This gave me the idea to enclose a very large TV that will sit on a plain, black laminated console ... don't know why I hadn't thought of it, but it's a great way to protect the TV from my very curious cats, who are losing one of their favorite perches because the new TV won't fit into the current entertainment cabinet. This kind of "bridge" (the top piece of this project) will also give the girls a new place to lounge but keep them (I hope) from trying to jump onto the narrow top of the TV. Cool colors, too.

• Tersia Marais Senekal

Stunning make-over