February Flip; Teri Blake

1.5K Views
Our awesome art and DIY Facebook group; Creative Blessing hosts contests almost every month. They give opportunity to our members to win some cool prizes and try new mediums. Here is Teri's Flip entry !
Time: 2 HoursCost: $10Difficulty: Medium
  • february flip teri blake
Here is my flip. This was a bookshelf that my dad made in shop class back in the 1950s! I would normally strip or sand the piece first for real wood, but this was a quick project that my daughter requested for her classroom.
  • february flip teri blake
I made grey chalk paint from an "oops" paint mixed with Plaster of Paris. Then I SPiT it, using Blue Thunder, Dragon's Belly green, Zia teal, Purple Hill Majesty, White Ning, and Midnight's Blackness.
  • february flip teri blake
Blending technique used with Unicorn SPiT:  rubbing them in with the grain and occasionally spritzing with water to help the color move.
  • february flip teri blake
 I was originally going to just do the horizontal surfaces but then decided that I wanted some of the SPiT areas to show if the shelves were covered, so I also did the vertical outside edges.
  • february flip teri blake
. I sealed with 3 coats of wipe-on poly on the grey surfaces and 3 coats of gloss, brush-on poly on the SPiT surfaces.
  • february flip teri blake
 That's it, quick and easy, and my daughter is so excited to show it to her students! 

Suggested materials for this project:

• Unicorn spit
  • Poly