What size pot for a tomato plant?

+6
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 05, 2018
    depends on what variety you are buying?
  • Cki12453448 Cki12453448 on Mar 05, 2018
    We put 2 or 3 in a 5 gallon Pot
  • Dfm Dfm on Mar 05, 2018
    the roots of a tomato plant run about 12 inches deep, and they need 5 gal. of of good potting mix. I plant heirloom varieties, so the plants get very tall. i like to home can my tomatoes..
  • Alice Alice on Mar 05, 2018
    For maximum production, the ideal pot size is 18-inch diameter for determinate tomatoes, or "bush" tomatoes and 24-inch diameter for indeterminate or “vining” tomatoes.
  • Laura Jo Lubeck Laura Jo Lubeck on Mar 05, 2018
    I use a huge pot for my deck. I add rocks in the bottom for weight before adding potting soil. Sometimes the squirrels have knocked the pots over before I added rocks.
  • PJ Kelley PJ Kelley on Mar 05, 2018
    Last year, I used a 5 gallon bucket and had more tomatoes than we could eat.
  • Dfm Dfm on Mar 05, 2018
    You can freeze tomatoes whole..set them on a cookies sheet -freeze, and put in freezer bags. When you need one - thaw it out.
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Mar 05, 2018
    5 gallon is great, since tomatoes are planted pretty far up the stem, the roots have good solid earth to establish themselves in.