Asked on Mar 6, 2018

Basement window treatment ideas?

RedcatcecPat RugeShore grandmom
+7

Fully renovated basement and looking for ideas and reccomendations for windows. They are so small and not sure whether to go for Blinds, short or long curtains. Its a blank canvas. No furniture yet.Thanks for your help.
q basement window treatments
  • Janet Panos

Hello. Here are 25 of the best ideas for window treatments to put on small basement windows. Click on the link below to view. Good luck!

• Laura Cooper

I really like using cellular shades. They allow light while providing privacy AND insulation and they always look so clean and crisp.
  • Alice

install shades, which would be my 1st choice, here's a video that will help
  • Cynthia H

A privacy film is inexpensive and easy to apply. The ones in my kitchen and bathroom let in light also.
    • Na

THAT WAS going to be my suggestion! I just bought 4 rolls(overkill!! I KNOW) of frosted film. I put it on both my bathrooms and the light is fine and I dont have to use the towel anymore! I had the bathrooms remodeled and the shades we had up were no longer able to fit($60 down the bowl!! So, we put the towel up until we found a suitable replacement. the Film works AWESOME! I'm going to do it on my basement windows and new shed/mancave windows!
  • LorriB

Another design "trick" is to mount a mirror or frosted glass below the actual window then add case moulding around the entire "window" to make it appear like a full sized window - in your case a longer window. Then you can hang a blind or curtains the full length of your new "window" and it will visually look a lot larger. I did one for a friend who had the opposite problem - her window was small and too low - there was a big gap between the top of the window and the ceiling. I mounted a mirror above it and framed it to resemble a transom window. It looked great!
  • Shore grandmom

Seeingpots had a great idea with the mirrors. I love that, then I'd do curtains to frame it in. You can get sheers or if you're sleeping down there, get blackout curtains.
  • Pat Ruge

In order to make the window appear to be larger, you might consider a set of shutter equal in side to the window, only mount it directly below the window. You might even be able to put some type light behind it to make it appear it is in fact a larger window. You might have to paint the wall in that area white to include the illusion. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/421719952591660818/
  • Redcatcec

Not sure where you live and if temperature in and outside is a factor. Shades would be a help keep the temp more constant.
    Sheers underneath a light blocking pair of curtains always fancies a room up and provides privacy.
    The idea of window film is nice and there are many different colors and patterns, they could make the basement stand out with ample light and limited vision in.