Screen Door Make Over

30K Views
We just had to replace our glass screen door with a new sheet of plexi. Our landscaper accidentally hit it with a rock, while using the weedeater & it shattered the entire thing. Luckily my husband opened the door after it shattered, but the crash & aftermath has been quite the mess. We're still finding glass in the tracks & it's in our flower beds. But the landscaper wouldn't replace the whole door- just the glass. He was hit pretty hard by Hurricane Harvey & is just now moving back into his home. I unfortunately had to touch up the door paint, where shards of glass chipped into it.
Time: 1 HoursCost: $0Difficulty: Medium
  • screen door make over
Here is the new plexi door.
  • screen door make over
Since we didn't replace- I painted the rusted/not so pretty stuff with Art Minds outdoor paint, in black.
  • screen door make over
The door handle was originally brass & horribly corroded. The air quality is terrible here- chemical plants & coastal air. That mix left this thing disgusting. I was ashamed to post a before pic. So here is it after a long time of meticulous sanding & painting with Art Minds outdoor paint, in black. You can see Oreo had to help out.
  • screen door make over
Here is our color for the main part of the door.
  • screen door make over
Waverly acrylic paint in sky.
  • screen door make over
I'm using 3 different stencils- these 2 for accents, since the main one didn't cover the entire door perfectly.
  • screen door make over
This Waverly stencil is the main one.
  • screen door make over
Here is how it looks from the inside- top half of the door.
  • screen door make over
Here is the bottom half, from inside.
  • screen door make over
Here is the finished product- much better! now I have some privacy, some light blocked out, but we can still see through just fine. I had everything on hand- so it didn't cost me a dime!

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 11, 2018 10:56 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.