Missy Burch
Missy Burch
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Texas City, TX

Screen Door Make Over

$0

We just had to replace our glass screen door with a new sheet of plexi. Our landscaper accidentally hit it with a rock, while using the weedeater & it shattered the entire thing. Luckily my husband opened the door after it shattered, but the crash & aftermath has been quite the mess. We're still finding glass in the tracks & it's in our flower beds. But the landscaper wouldn't replace the whole door- just
screen door make over
Here is the new plexi door.
screen door make over
Since we didn't replace- I painted the rusted/not so pretty stuff with Art Minds outdoor paint, in black.
screen door make over
The door handle was originally brass & horribly corroded. The air quality is terrible here- chemical plants & coastal air. That mix left this thing disgusting. I was ashamed to post a before pic. So here is it after a long time of meticulous sanding & painting with Art Minds outdoor paint, in black. You can see Oreo had to help out.
screen door make over
Here is our color for the main part of the door.
screen door make over
Waverly acrylic paint in sky.
screen door make over
I'm using 3 different stencils- these 2 for accents, since the main one didn't cover the entire door perfectly.
screen door make over
This Waverly stencil is the main one.
screen door make over
Here is how it looks from the inside- top half of the door.
screen door make over
Here is the bottom half, from inside.
screen door make over
Here is the finished product- much better! now I have some privacy, some light blocked out, but we can still see through just fine. I had everything on hand- so it didn't cost me a dime!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 23, 2018 10:52 PM - More info

• Oodlez

I would like to replace my glass door with plexiglass . Any information on where to buy the plexiglass. We have small dogs that jump on the glass and I fear it will shatter and cut them.

• Snooks1948

The Dogs Claws will scratch Plexiglass, you could buy a Screen Guard at Lowe's or Home Depot and put on the door to keep the dogs away from the glass.

• Amo20575135

Do you think this could be done on my real screen door?

• Brenda

Google Baltimore Windows Screen Painting. It is an old tradition in Little Italy.

• OceeB

Hi Missy, love the updated look. Could you go over steps for stencil application please?

Did you do one stencil and have to let dry before doing the next one? Guessing the door was laying flat and the paint was applied on the iinterior side of door for protection from elements? Is there any way to add a sealer over paint to keep paint from chipping?

Thanks for posting, the door is lovely!

• Missy Burch

I actually worked on it in a very odd way, so the stencil didn't over lap, that's why I ended up with gaps & had to fill in with the butterflies. I started in the top right, then the top left, then bottom right, bottom left. then I moved back up to the top & so on. since it was hot & daytime, it dried fast. I didn't apply a sealer because I wanted the option of removing it later on, if it fades & it will. i can easily scrape it off & redo something else. but if you'd like to seal it, a simple spray sealer will do it. prop open your screen door, spray, let dry.

• Barbara

Love it. Now I just need to buy the glass screen door for our sun porch. Our current screened door is just TERRIBLE. Love the color you chose as well. Beautiful!

• Joy7667641

I just love the butterflies 🦋