Asked on Mar 6, 2018

How to remove cracks in this flower made of chalk powder and glue?

RedcatcecJewellmartinKelly Hawks
+6

q how to remove cracks in this flower made of chalk powder and glue
  • Jeanette S

A sheetrock guy explained this to me...it seems that in order to avoid cracks in "mud" on walls is why sheetrock repairs that require a lot of filling in is done over a number of applications with several days in between...that gives each layer time to dry.

Since your work is on a board, I would think the cracking may be because the board is not as porous as might be desired...it looks like it may have a finish on it, not as porous as is sheetrock.

If this has had some time to cure, would mix up a small amount of thick, but soupy mixture of the plaster and glue and using a toothpick dabble a tiny amount on one of the cracks, smoothing it lightly with your finger.

Do just one to start, wait a few days and see if it works.

Keep in mind that this project might better be done during very dry weather conditions...atmosphere does make a difference.

BTW, I don't know what you are making, but it would be great if you would post your finished product...it looks very interesting!!!

• Ann Cherkas Halstead

Mix i. a cup the same mixture you made to make the flower. Then paint in the cracks with the mixture.
  • Lily Schlender

I was looking at your project. Isn't there a way to make a resin mold? Then you could pour plaster of paris into it. This was you would be able to make more of the same flower. Attach it with maybe glue like E6000?
  • Shirley Miller

I would try artists gesso on a brush and fill the cracks. I use it for a base for paint, furniture finishing Etc. It is similar in composition to your flower.
  • Kelly Hawks

Its cracking like that because the water evaporates and leaves the porous, chalky, rock-like produckt behind. I would turn up the airflow and heat, maybe even put it in a closed off room with a dehumidifier and a fan, so it will take less time to dry. Also, play with the mixture. Mix some calk and mudd in a small sepperate container
  • Kelly Hawks

Also, i kinda think it gives it some character
  • Jewellmartin

I haven’t caught up with what this will be used for. Hometalk just sent me a small bottle of Texture Paste Opaque Matte. It looks to me as if that could repair little holes and cracks in homemade gesso, like yours. Allow a day or two for dry curing. Then remove the flower and mount wherever you are planning. And please post your project because I am intrigued. ☺️
  • Redcatcec

Yes, Hometalk also sent me a bottle of the same and I was challenged on what project to use this on. You have come up with a solution.