Asked on Mar 6, 2018

Starting veg plants indoors

FRESHCUTKYLisa S.Liv
+4

I live in southern Ohio and want to plant a large garden this year. When is a good time to start pepper, cucumber and squash plants indoors.

8-10 0r 6-8 weeks indoors before your last expected frost date.Remember some seeds take longer to germinate
  • Kim

About two weeks before your average last frost date. Your local Agricultural Extension office should have that information for you as well as strategies for a successful garden in your area.
    😊
  • Judy

According to the Farmers' Almanac about 5 to 6 weeks before planting time if you're starting you seeds indoors. You can find this information on their site. I have been reading because I had the same question. Their site is full of good things to know about gardening. I am planning a garden this year also and needed the help of my grandmothers old friend, the almanac. She used to like to plant by the moon calendar so I thought I would give it a try. They have the moon calendar on there also. You can read all day when you pull them up; www.farmersalmanac.com. Hope this helps. Their calendar tells you when to do almost everything. Gardening by the Moon Calendar from the Farmers' Almanac. I live in the south so your planting time will vary from ours.
  • Amanda

Hello. I start my veggies indoors the end of March. Once it starts getting warmer out I start hardening them off by putting them outside for a few minutes and increasing the amount of time each day. Good Luck!
  • Liv

You can start them now. Move them outside after the last freeze.
  • Lisa S.

Cucumber and squash do just fine if you plant the seed in the ground, after danger of frost is past.
  • FRESHCUTKY

You can sow peppers now. I would direct sowthe others.