Asked on Mar 6, 2018

How to DIY Outdoor pillows?

Flipturn27524803Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+2

• 27524803

To purchase.... or to make...? They should be made of an out door fabric... or be treated with a product like Never Wet
  • Flipturn

An inexpensive source of water resistant fabric is shower curtain fabric panels. The fabric generally has good body to it, making it easy to lay flat to cut, and to sew up. It usually has a solid backing, and comes 'pre-treated'. If you are not too choosey about particular colors or patterns available, then you can save big $ compared with purchasing Sun Brella or other brand name outdoor fabric by the yard. Spraying the pillows with ScotchGuard will increase the water repellency of the fabric.
    • Number5

I think I am going to go with this suggestion. I saw a tutorial on home talk where shower curtains are used to cover existing outdoor pillows. The end result was beautiful! Plus I can get showers at Ross pretty cheap. Thanks!
  • Flipturn

Yes, Ross and stores like that are a good place to look for fabric shower curtain panels- they often have some in their clearance bins. 'Just a tip about sewing them up- if the underside has a vynal sort of stickier feel to it, then use a teflon presser foot for smooth seams, and a little heavier gauge needle. Practice on some little pieces first to see what size gives you enough strength to go through the fabric without tugging, but not too large that it makes holes. Use quality brand name thread to give strength to seams (needed when turning right side out) and to eliminate thread breakage.