Virginia B
Virginia B
  • Fayetteville, GA

How To Paint Upholstery

$20

Do you have a chair in great shape, but you hate the upholstery? Or, have you passed by perfectly good chairs at a yard sale or thrift store because you didn't like the upholstery?
It's an easy fix! Paint it!!! And, It's much less expensive than having the chair recovered. And, when done properly, it will be soft and supple just like fabric.
how to paint upholstery
I found this chair at a local thrift store. It was in perfect condition, but the fabric was dated and the seat was faded. And, the best part, it only cost $7.50!
how to paint upholstery
I started by misting the fabric with water. This will help the fabric accept the paint. A spray bottle from the dollar store works perfectly.
how to paint upholstery
I chose the color, Gravel Road, from The Dixie Belle Paint Company. It's a deep, rich gray.
how to paint upholstery
When painting with Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint, it is best to use a damp brush.
how to paint upholstery
I painted on three thin coats, allowed each coat to dry completely, then I sanded between each coat with a 400 grit sandpaper. Sanding is the key to keeping the fabric soft and smooth.
how to paint upholstery
The finishing touch was done with Dixie Belle's Best Dang Clear Wax. This will also keep the chair soft, yet durable. And, when you factor in the cost of the chair, the paint (I used approximately 12 ounces), and the wax, I have a beautiful elegant chair that costs under $20!
Virginia B

• Sidnac

How much of the wax do you put on ? Do you

paint the wax on, or is it rubbed on... explain this step with clear instruction. Thank you so very much !

• Jean

When I wax upholstery I find the cloth then brush in circular motions, gives it an interesting effect. But that's when I'm going to add antiquing wax. otherwise I just use clear and a cloth. It's fun to watch your projects!!

• Would this hold up on patio furniture cushions that would get wet (both from rain and wet swimsuits)?

• Rosemary

Did you use the same chalk paint on the legs and wooden trim on the back of the chair?

• Maggie Trigg

Actually it’s to bad the fabric pattern was faded or dated. I happened to like the splattered paint effect. I think I would have attempted to blend in the faded areas. Then put a nice contrasting finish on the wood. I actually have a blazer nearly the same print.

• Arthur Thornton

Yes, I plan to try it and it looks wonderful, I will let you know how it works