How To Paint Upholstery

$20

Do you have a chair in great shape, but you hate the upholstery? Or, have you passed by perfectly good chairs at a yard sale or thrift store because you didn't like the upholstery?
It's an easy fix! Paint it!!! And, It's much less expensive than having the chair recovered. And, when done properly, it will be soft and supple just like fabric.
I found this chair at a local thrift store. It was in perfect condition, but the fabric was dated and the seat was faded. And, the best part, it only cost $7.50!
I started by misting the fabric with water. This will help the fabric accept the paint. A spray bottle from the dollar store works perfectly.
I chose the color, Gravel Road, from The Dixie Belle Paint Company. It's a deep, rich gray.
When painting with Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint, it is best to use a damp brush.
I painted on three thin coats, allowed each coat to dry completely, then I sanded between each coat with a 400 grit sandpaper. Sanding is the key to keeping the fabric soft and smooth.
The finishing touch was done with Dixie Belle's Best Dang Clear Wax. This will also keep the chair soft, yet durable. And, when you factor in the cost of the chair, the paint (I used approximately 12 ounces), and the wax, I have a beautiful elegant chair that costs under $20!

3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Virginia B

• Joleen
    Joleen

Why doesn’t anyone answer the questions

• Tonya J
      Tonya J

Click on answer this.. sometimes they do sometimes they don’t

• Joy Peoples
    Joy Peoples

Did you sand 1 last time after the final coat of paint?

• Shonta
      Shonta

I realize it's a year later but it was stated above that there were 3 coats that were allowed to completely dry and sanding was done between each coat.

• Carolyn
    Carolyn

How does chalk paint differ from latex house paint, and can the latter be used to paint fabric?

• Carolyn
      Carolyn

Thanks! For others interested, I used equal parts water, latex paint and paint medium for fabric, but due to some kind of separation, I ‘ve got a blue halo in multiple areas. Back to the drawing board!

• Daisy@TX
    Daisy@TX

Ok I believe I will try this since if I understand correctly the paint is ready to so no mixing in with a medium then I'm good to go.

• E95656
    E95656

So pretty!