Virginia B
Virginia B
  • Fayetteville, GA

How To Paint Upholstery

$20

Do you have a chair in great shape, but you hate the upholstery? Or, have you passed by perfectly good chairs at a yard sale or thrift store because you didn't like the upholstery?
It's an easy fix! Paint it!!! And, It's much less expensive than having the chair recovered. And, when done properly, it will be soft and supple just like fabric.
how to paint upholstery
I found this chair at a local thrift store. It was in perfect condition, but the fabric was dated and the seat was faded. And, the best part, it only cost $7.50!
how to paint upholstery
I started by misting the fabric with water. This will help the fabric accept the paint. A spray bottle from the dollar store works perfectly.
how to paint upholstery
I chose the color, Gravel Road, from The Dixie Belle Paint Company. It's a deep, rich gray.
how to paint upholstery
When painting with Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint, it is best to use a damp brush.
how to paint upholstery
I painted on three thin coats, allowed each coat to dry completely, then I sanded between each coat with a 400 grit sandpaper. Sanding is the key to keeping the fabric soft and smooth.
how to paint upholstery
The finishing touch was done with Dixie Belle's Best Dang Clear Wax. This will also keep the chair soft, yet durable. And, when you factor in the cost of the chair, the paint (I used approximately 12 ounces), and the wax, I have a beautiful elegant chair that costs under $20!

Virginia B

• Sjh42217006

I’m painting a chair now and it feels a little hard to me. I’ve got to go back with the second coat still. If I put the wax on it your saying that will soften it up, but change it at all?

• Virginia B

Sand lightly between coats with a 400 or higher grit sandpaper. When your final coat is dry, lightly sand again, then apply a clear wax. It will feel like a soft vinyl and shouldn't be hard.

• Robyn Arroyo

How well does it hold up?

• Cheryle ranger

Does the wax come off on your clothes?

• Virginia B

No it doesn't. It's the same wax that you use on painted wood furniture.

• Deb43140852

I did a recliner, and it turned out wonderfully!! Love Dixie Belle paint. Just make sure to sand in between coats. It is better to go with darker color than the original fabric. Loved your gravel road piece.

• Haley

Do you have to use chalk paint or will any acrylic low sheen do?

• Vicki Leonardson

Beautiful!!!