Asked on Mar 6, 2018

Can you stain an already painted wood cabinet?

OlgabolgaSheilaWilliam
+2

You will have to remove the existing paint for the stain to adhere correctly
  • Robin Wallace

You can but will take a lot of work! Strip old paint, sand old stain off, then restain. If staining a darker color you may get away with the sanding it down to raw wood.

Can't stain over paint. Stain absorbs into wood grain. You will need to strip the paint off, sand smooth, then stain and seal.
  • Sheila

Years ago I bought a home that someone had painted the kitchen cabinets.I did a sand test in a small area behind the refrigerator.What I saw was the most beautiful wood,so I took on the task of bringing them back to their original beauty.Since there were several layers of paint, I started with paint stripper and a plastic scraper.the next step included 60 grit on a hand sander and a dremmel for the small grooves.Finally following up with 100 grit sand for a smooth finish.Tedious yes but then was the fun part.Picked my stain and followed up with a clear coat of poly urethane.So yes you can but it will take patience.
  • Olgabolga

You can use a colored wax or gel over it, though. Talk to Benjamin Moor folks