Asked on Mar 7, 2018

Can year-old seeds be planted?

FRESHCUTKYBarb AdamsLiv
+5

All you can do is try them
  • Amanda

Hi Janice. Seeds usually have a expiration date. I have planted seeds that are over 1 year old and they came up just fine.
  • Dfm

i planted tomatoe seeds from a package dated 10 years ago. My thinking was I’ll just plant 2 seeds in starter pot and hope And I’ll plant all that’s left. I grew 120 tomato plants. I should think a year old package should work just fine. 60 of the plants went to the area food pantry...if you have ever needed to use one, you know that fresh produce is in short supply. Care instructions were included.
  • Ken

Most of the seeds you buy are older than a year. The seed company tests seeds for a minimum germination rate and if they pass they sell them, putting an expiration date on as a customer service so you'll achieve the same result. Plant them. If they don't come up, buy new ones.

I started everything for my garden from seeds of vegetables we purchased. Had a phenomenal germination rate. Only one that was disappointing was tomatoes. Varieties were not the same as the fruit from last year, but I did have good tomatoes regardless. All varieties of squash and peppers did really well. So well that I could not give them all away. Plant potatoes that start growing in the bin too.
  • All you can do is try. I have planted 5 year old seeds, some germinated some did not. You have nothing to lose by trying!
  • Liv

Sometimes, depending on the type of plant and how you stored them. Don't plant them in your garden though because if they don't work you will have wasted space. Start them off in a plant starter.
  • Barb Adams

Shelf life of seeds vary. I have planted flower seeds that were several years old and gotten good results. This website has some information: https://www.gardenguides.com/83041-shelf-life-garden-seeds.html
  • FRESHCUTKY

Some may not germinate, but they are still good to try to plant.