Kathy
Kathy
Asked on Mar 7, 2018

Brass light fixture over bathroom sink is rusting. What to do?

KathyCynthia HJea22219926
+8

• Liv

I hope this works!
  • Kathy

take down lightly sand spray paint desired new color
  • Barb Adams

I assume you don't want to replace it. You could paint in with something like Rustoleum, which comes in many colors and gloss levels nowadays.
  • Vimarhonor

I would suggest replacing it.

Remove the fixture.Use a rust priming stain blocker, and paint the fixture
  • Janice

If you like it otherwise, why not clean it as well as you can and paint it using a sponge and whatever color paint you prefer. The dampness in your bathroom over many years has caused the rust spots and might be smoothed with a steel wool pad before painting. I'd take the lazy way of sponging it so as not to have to remove it which I think you'd want to do if you sprayed it. You could even buy metallic paint that looks like brass if you want that look.
  • Jea22219926

There are brass cleaners you could try.
  • Cynthia H

If you want to reuse it, clean off the rust with steel wool, or a metal brush, prime it with Rustoleum primer once clean and dry, and and then paint it any color you like (I recommend a Rustoleum spray paint). Be sure to protect any parts such as the socket with a plastic baggie and tape before painting.
  • Cynthia H

P.S. I would also use a clear sealer spray paint to seal it after painting it, since you've already had a problem with rust. Thin layers of spray paint are best, so you don't get drips. Paint it outside or in an open garage.
  • Kathy

Lots of great ideas. Thanks so much!