Asked on Mar 7, 2018

Any ideas for antique sewing machine with treadle base?

EbbyBeverly Deal McCabeLan7852066
+7

• Jennie

Take the machine out. Close the top shut. Have a piece of glass cut to fit the top. Take off the pedal. Gather post cards and letters from years ago. You can find love letters from soldiers or post cards from soldiers during the war and put them under the glass. Very nostalgic and beautiful. Now you have a desk.
  • Dfm

are all the parts in working order? Some models can be converted to electric. Most have only a straight stitch. Which is good for machine stitching a design on a quilt.
  • Rose Broadway

I'll send you this whole page of videos. Different people have different ideas and they're all so beautiful!
    • Jen

Mine as well! So...took a piece of wood..made a pattern of the hole. Now it is the stand for my "new" sewing machine. No..it doesnt fold into the base anymore..but it looks great and is totally functional!
  • Lan7852066

SEnd a picture so an evaluation can be made.
  • Beverly Deal McCabe

We removed the machine and treadle, leaving just the frame and topped it
    with a nice piece of slate.
  • Ebby

If you can't use the machine, but the wood and base are in good condition: Take the machine out. Remove the fold-over piece by taking it off WITH the hinge. 1> Cut apiece of same thickness wood/plywood to fill in the hole, gluing around sides and using flat screw in connectors underneath, or 2> Remove the pieces where the machine was and cut a piece of wood the same size or slightly smaller than the fold-over piece. Sand and stain the both sides the same, or sand and paint. Use beside a chair or sofa as a worktable, reading table, computer table etc. Position it so the top flips over in front of you when you are sitting! Just remember, you can't pile up stuff on it like we tend to do with end tables! Another option: remove pieces where machine is;remove hinged piece, and hinge, sand, finish and place on top of the cast iron frame for a solid table! I LOVE (and only have 2) pedal machine bases. Mine are fully intact, one with my mom's working 1980's machine in it and one with base and marble top. I didn't remove the pedals of either...ruins the full effect, and if used as a table, it's perfect for books!