Mary davis
Mary davis
  • Anderson, SC
Asked on Mar 8, 2018

For counter tops, would wall paper work with marine grade poly?

Mary davisEbbjdlLaura Cooper
+4

• Jana

I have not tried that, but it seems like it would work. The only question I would want to aso when getting the poly is whether it is safe for foods
  • Nancy Turner

Get some clear tempered glass cutting boards to put down on the counters where you normally work with food. I never put raw food on my counters without something underneath them, nor do I cut things on my counters without a cutting board. I have a specific place on my counter by the stove that has a tempered glass cutting board that stays there all the time and my knife blocks are right there too. I clean my sink out and put raw meat in there to prepare them, too messy to do on counters for me, with the bloody yucky liquid that comes off and ends up going on the counter and under the cutting board.
  • Flipturn

Nancy is right about the importance of keeping your counter tops and cutting/preparation spaces as clean and disinfected as possible. The current fad in putting contact paper on counter tops is not practical or safe, as moist bits of raw food, crumbs, and dirt can get under the edges and hairline cracks in the paper, and will cause bacterium to grow.
  • Laura Cooper

There are special products for countertop covering. It's made of pvc and if applied properly there shouldn't be areas where food gets stuck. The product I've seen is EZ Faux Decor.
  • Ebbjdl

Flipturn has the right idea. Bacteria, and who knows what else will penetrate the contact paper
  • Mary davis

• You have a good point however with marine grade level of poly coats, I am thinking with numerous coats nothing would rise up in my lifetime.
    • Just thinking, Thank you Mary
  • Mary davis

I have not done the research on Marine grade of poly, but I think it can take heat up to 700 degrees, so a hot pan would not affect it. I have to do some more research or better yet somebody tell me because I have had so much great advise. Many Thanks, Mary