Asked on Mar 8, 2018

Tennis court cracks

MariGkKarla
+4

My tennis court in Michigan is starting to crack - I have never applied any type of sealant. I had it repaved about 10 years ago. Should I do anything or just accept that it may need to be repaved once again in a few years ?

• Gale Allen Jenness
    Gale Allen Jenness

Assuming it’s black top, it should be slurry sealed no less then every 2 years, not that every year would be a bad thing either if you live where you have extreme weather in winter for more protection. If you don’t slurry seal the rain water gets into any creavus or crack and if it freezes it expands and breaks up the black top. Over time unprotected black top will be desttoyed if not protected!
  • Jana
    Jana

I would check to see if there is anything on the market that you could fill the cracks with. You may want to contact the people who did your repaving earlier, or go to a home improvement store and see if they have something. I am afraid you may need to replace it.
  • Phyllis Osborne
    Phyllis Osborne

If it is concrete they make great crack fillers and a sealer for over all that are very good. Lowes or any good Hard ware store
  • Karla
    Karla

It depends on how bad the cracks are, if they are just surface cracks I would repair it. Otherwise, you may need to call a professional in. I would try sealing the surface, either after it gets fixed or replaced.
  • Gk
    Gk

Call a professional in to have it recoated. I live in northern Minnesota where the winters do a number on blacktop driveways. To have your asphalt last 10 years without redoing it is pretty good! We seal cracks every year and have a sealant professionally sprayed on every 2-3 years. It is an ongoing issue!
  • Mari
    Mari

Your court needs regular maintenance to keep its good playing properties over the time. Just make sure that the artificial grass maintenance is performed properly and regularly in accordance with the procedures below : https://www.tenniskit24.com/guides/artificial-grass-court-maintenance/