Asked on Mar 8, 2018

Is is safe to flush the remainder extra hair color down the drain?

Savannah Lauren KellerJkRedcatcec
+7

How to safely dispose of extra, remaining hair dyes after coloring hair? Put it in the trash or flush it down the drain?

• Geew
    Geew

That's a very harsh chemical. Seal it up and throw in the trash.
  • Considered toxic waste - heavily regulated in some states. Dispose of according to what your refuse company recommends. Where I live they have a free toxic clean up day about every 3 months or so.
  • Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

Hi May,
    I looked this up because I used to color my hair to give it more body. Think about it this way, if you're coloring you hair the hair color goes down your drain so I would suggest mixing in some water then sending it down the drain, then put the container in the recycling bin. If you put it in the regular trash it goes to the landfills. If it goes to the recycling bin, it is recycled. That is my opinion after reading a little about this issue, BUT I would recommend to be sure by calling you local Dept. of Public Works or Sanitation Dept. to see what they say. Wishing you the best.
    • May
      May

I live in a rural area in Idaho where isn't any recycling. It makes sense to dilute the dye with water and flush it down the drains because when rinsing off the hair dye it goes into the drains.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

I did a little research on this, and, apparently it varies by municipality and state. Some places regulate it more tightly than others. Some allow disposal down the drain if you run water, some landfills allow it to be put in garbage. Apparently it can be labeled as hazardous waste, which limits disposal. So, research your local regulations. You should be able to find out online or by phone.
  • COCO
    COCO

Another thing many people don't bother to read on Kleenex AND MOST facial tissue boxes is "DON'T FLUSH!" Surprize to me.
  • Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Wow, I was amazed at the variety of answers, I need to check what is on the bottle as far as ingredients, call the manufacturer and check out local regulations.
  • Jk
    Jk

I put mine down the kitchen drain....am I going to die???

• Savannah Lauren Keller
    Savannah Lauren Keller

Please try NOT to put it down your drain. It kills fish and other marine life important to ecosystems and even gets into our own water supply.

• May
      May

Savannah, Not to worry because I gave up hair color, going gray naturally now for almost 2 years.