Can chalk paint be applied over gloss enamel paint?

+8
we have bought an outdated china cabinet/wall unit and want to give it a country vintage look. the previous paint was enamel.

• P6031397959 P6031397959 on Mar 08, 2018
    yes you have to use primer first
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Mar 09, 2018
    Yes, it can be painted over almost anything - for gloss there is no need to sand or prime. For old varnish - I always prime so that it does not bleed through. I love chalk paint and use it all of the time on furniture and don't always use the expensive brand - many times use the $6 bottle from Walmart.
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Mar 09, 2018
    yes you can use chalk paint over enamel...just remember that you will need a sealant...either wax or polycrylic
  • Carilyn Spencer Carilyn Spencer on Oct 27, 2020

We can’t find the color of chalk paint we want so can we use an enamel for under neath then use a chalk paint over to sand down until we get the effect we want?

• Veronica Johnson Page Veronica Johnson Page on Feb 09, 2021

That makes no sense! Get some kilz.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Feb 10, 2021

Hi Susan, unfortunately, I wouldn't advise putting chalk paint over enamel unless you prep and prime the surface properly. Enamel paint is usually oil-based while chalk paint is water-based and won't adhere properly.