How to Create a Perfect Landscape Ring

$0

This tutorial is part of our Lamp Post Makeover project. If you read that post, you'll remember that our old lamp post stuck crookedly up out of an unruly bed of growth contained by a lopsided "circle" of rocks.

how to create a perfect landscape ring
how to create a perfect landscape ring

Once we pulled out all of the old growth and removed the stones, we saw that the lamp post wasn't even centered in the "circle."

how to create a perfect landscape ring

Since the original circle wasn’t quite circular, and since the post wasn’t centered in the not-quite-perfect circle, Handan put her brain in gear and came up with a good plan for a wider perfect circle with the lamp past in the exact center. She tied a rope around the lamp post, ensuring that the knot was loose, so the rope could turn about the post without winding. She then secured the other end to an edger.

how to create a perfect landscape ring

We removed the sod, leveled the area with some patio base, and then I started laying in the landscape bricks. In order to keep the perfect circle with the bricks, I used the same rope that Handan used for the edger. Each time I laid a brick, I pulled the rope over the center to see if the rope was perpendicular to the brick. And that's all it took to get a perfect circle of bricks!

You can see all the process pictures to illustrate how we created a perfect landscape ring on our blog.

how to create a perfect landscape ring

If you'd like, check out our other outdoor projects like this DIY waterdrop solar light. It is very easy to make and delightful to watch at night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE DIY WATERDROP SOLAR LIGHTS TUTORIAL.

how to create a perfect landscape ring
how to create a perfect landscape ring

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLICK HERE to see more DIY and craft projects from The Navage Patch.

Thanks for reading!

-Greg

• Landscape bricks  (Lowes)
  • Lawn edger  (Home Depot)
Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Fkr2307226

How many bricks did it take. Thanks

• Elb8266144

I have one that is controlled by a little button on the side near the top. Pushes in and out. Mine is electric.

• Edie Zsuzsics

How did you calculate the circumference so that the bricks would all fit snugly into the circle?

• Kathy Kyde

Perfect. This is the math kids in school say that they will never use.

• Lit15392600

Just beautiful! Does your lamp come on automatically? I have a lamp like that but I can't figure out how to turn it on! I was told there is a switch but was never shown. Thanks for sharing!

• Robyn Garner

Your post light SHOULD have been hard wired into the house somewhere, usually near your front door. Try putting in a new light bulb and test all the switches to find which one turns on your light.

• Karen Puddin Merrill

Awesome. Clever use of Geometry.

• Amy Rohde

I was kind of hoping your hostas would come back... were they used elsewhere? The end result looks amazing.. Now I'm heading over to see the teardrop thingy.. can't wait to read all about it!