Asked on Mar 9, 2018

Tiled top kitchen table

JudyHNancy TurnerTae
+2

I have a southwest style white washed kitchen table that has a tiled surface that I'd like to change out. Any ides on what I can do once the I remove the tiles - and how do I remove the tiles without damaging the table???

• Ann21090112

Vomura have you considered painting the existing tiles to suit your kitchen?
  • Dshanbrom

If you like the idea of a butcher block table top check with your local DIY store. I've seen butcher block counter tops in varying sizes that you could have them cut to fit the size of your table top...or you can have it cyt a few inches larger if you need more table. Screw it from below into the top of current table top.
  • Tae

I would just build a new top for the table that covers the current one.
  • Nancy Turner

You could put a wood table top on top of the tiles and put an edging over the side and attach it to the underside of the table, you could then paint or stain it to however you want it to look.
  • JudyH

Tile mastic and grout are really, really hard to remove completely. I think if you take the tile off, you're going to have lots of sanding to prepare/smooth out the wood. Have you consider installing a new wood top over the existing tile? You might have to put new edging around the perimeter but that's easy. I don't think installing over the tile would raise your surface very much more that the standard dining table height to make it noticeable -- just the thickness of your new lumber.