Rust Dyed Fabric - Lampshade

$20

A few months back I had great fun playing with rusty nails, bits and pieces of rusty metal found on the beach and fabric. Rust placed on wet fabric gradually dyes rust colours.
rust dyed fabric lampshade
The fabric is soaked in a solution of 50:50 water and white vinegar. Rust items are placed into the fabric, where the rust touches the fabric patterns will form. Alternatively you can wrap rust objects with the fabric.
rust dyed fabric lampshade
The process can take between 1-3 days for the rust to form.
rust dyed fabric lampshade
Having had fun with rusty nails, lumps of metal and washers creating a variety of patterns was then left wondering what to do with the fabric itself. Time passed.

I had a go at embroidering onto the fabric, adding embellishment to the fabric. But then wondered what to do with the embroidered fabric. After some thought I decided to make a lampshade, the back of the embroidery shone through the shade so I chose to work with just the rust fabric.
rust dyed fabric lampshade
Using a lampshade making kit found on Amazon I created a lampshade - more detailsfor how to make the lampshade are in my blog post.
rust dyed fabric lampshade
I am delighted with the result. If you fancy a go yourself but have no rust objects then you can atill be a go - find out here.
I would love to know what you would make with rust fabric.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 20, 2018 10:20 PM - More info
Vickymcreations

• Elaine

This is an interesting idea. I have one questin ... when you wash the project (obviously, I’m not referring to the lampshade!) would the rust marks fade? I would like to see this tried on a (fabric) shower curtain or tablecloth.

• Jeanette Jim Rednour

We use Whink all the time. Buy it at Lowes in the plumbing dept. or the cleaning supply dept. Also at times it is at WalMart in the cleaning supplies.

• Patti

🤔You do realize you’re going to put all the stain remover companies out of business ... don’t you ?!?! 🙄

• Patti

• Jayne Strelow Timper

I just loved this idea. I have 2 old silk barrel shades, I have a muslin piece from YEARS ago. My daughter needs lamps for her bedroom. Check...Colors perfect....check....YOUR IDEA AMAZING...CHECK!!!!!! The lamps are from the late '40's, and my husband will be re-wiring them for the kids to use on their Heywood Wakefield bedroom furniture SAAAA WEEEET

• Dj_12453913

Definitely try this. Also when you use "Whink" to get rust stains out, did you rub it in or let it sit? 

Wondered how you could remove rust stains. Thanks!