Antique Bronze Vase Makeover

$20

If you saw this at a flea market or yard sale would you pass on by it because it looks so dated? It didnt have any chips or cracks but yet it wouldn't steal your attention enough to give it a second thought? Well you should have bought it!!
antique bronze vase makeover
For just a few dollars and a few hours of your time it could be totally transformed, let me show you how. First, you'll need a small crock of chalkboard paint and a bottle of craft paint in a metallic copper finish. You'll also need a paint brush and some old rags.
antique bronze vase makeover
antique bronze vase makeover
I made sure the vase was dusted, cleaned and dry before I started to paint it, as you'd do with all used items. To prevent drips and enable me to paint near the bottom easier I used a block of wood to elevate it and a food tray cover to protect my work area.
antique bronze vase makeover
So basically its set up almost on a turn table because I can turn the vase around as I work since the wood block twists easily on the plastic cover. Here it is with the black chalk paint applied, one coat was almost sufficient except for a few areas where the pattern grooves were deep.
antique bronze vase makeover
antique bronze vase makeover
The paint dries very quickly but I allowed for 24 hours before I went on to the next step of applying the metallic paint.
For this step I found I needed to work quickly because I wanted to wipe most of the paint off before it dried on to the surface. I worked in patches, using circular motions to ensure that the paint got into the grooves.
Next, I wiped that patch area with the damp cloths to remove most of the metallic paint, no need to scrub! This allowed me to still have both colors visible, the top one doesn't block out the base coat because you remove a lot of it.
antique bronze vase makeover
Above photo shows how it looked when the metallic paint was applied over top, while the bottom shows how it looks after it was wiped. The copper-bronze metallic highlights the pattern beautifully.
antique bronze vase makeover
Once this was dry I gave the entire vase a protective coat of Min-wax furniture paste and buffed it to a silky smooth finish by hand. The lint free rags I had cut up were perfect for this, t-shirts are perfect!
antique bronze vase makeover
It went from a tired, dated, green look to a rich, antique, bronze finish, here's how it looks now!
antique bronze vase makeover
I had some reeds and twigs here already in other vases so I chose a grouping that tied in nicely with the vase finish. Here's how it all came together.
antique bronze vase makeover
Here's the before and after side by side to show you the dramatic transformation. It now looks like a million bucks, well maybe at least a hundred! I was super pleased with the outcome and for minimal effort and cost.
antique bronze vase makeover
As a side note I realized the copper metallic I bought seemed too pink for my taste so I added a few drops of bronze metallic paint as seen below. That was my personal preference that I thought I'd share with you. Another note is all of these paints are water clean up, no fumes and fast drying.
antique bronze vase makeover
Maybe I've inspired you to give those dull, dated items at the thrift store a second look and a much needed makeover. Experiment, try new products because after all thrifted items cost less. Youll get to explore your creative side and possibly transform an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan! Most of all have fun during the process!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 27, 2018 8:32 AM - More info

• Teresa Anderson-Briney

I have two "lamps" that I inherited that are made of some type of metal..looks like bronze. They came from India and look like they were vases to begin with, then converted to lamps. Any suggestions ?? What can I do with them??

• Diane Navyac McClellan

I've redone quite a few lamps with the different types,of spray paints....some metal some glass. They turned out nice. A few I just changed the color and sprayed the flock type paint, where it's kind of rough....turned out great. Lamps and shades are outrageous,buying new

• Sls32892805

Now I will be on the lookout for old lamps that have that shape, right?

• Sea Trace Creations

Yes, great idea but this was bought as a vase or urn for flower arrangements I just updated the finish. Have fun and happy treasure hunting!

• Patricia

Love the result you achieved!

• Sea Trace Creations

Thanks, I was super pleased and I'm about to try this method on a moose antler next for rustic decor.