D
D
  • Chesterfield, MO
Asked on Mar 10, 2018

Need staircase banisters enclosed for safety

V SmithKiturah HumphreyJoy30150932
+17

We have a toddler climbing up and scooting down stairs in town house. Although we have gates and we keep a close watch she moves faster than her ole grandma. The banisters and handrails are black painted wrought iron, no opening at bottom of rail. We plan on listing for sale this summer so we are looking for suggestions how to temporarily block any chance of her falling through the openings that she loves to stick her head through. Thank you.
q need staircase banisters enclosed for safety
  • Emily

Have you thought of taking sheets and putting them under the lower railing and pulling up and fastening safely at the top railing? Or taking two light weight boards that fit the space, putting one on the outside and one on the inside and screwing them together?

• D

Emil, I like your idea about the boards but it would give a bad feel to the place when people tour it. I'm not understanding the idea about the sheet. The bottom frane rail is tightly screwed into the wood support. Old place ugh been here 19 years. Want to move to a 1 story.

• Geew

Amazon sells these:

Anyumocz 6.56Ft Child Safety Rail Net for INDOOR & OUTDOOR Usage-Banister Stair Net – Child Safety; Pet Safety; Toy Safety; Stairs Protector(White)
    About the product

, About the product What you get 6 56 feet long x 3 feet high pearl color white indoor Safe Rail Safety rail net Harmonic Lifewares 6 56ft long x 3ft wide weatherproof see through mesh prevents your child from peaking through the railing throwing objects through the rail gaps Save your floors and railings from falling objects and ensure a safe environment for everyone More solid THICKENED polyester materials can withstand higher pressures MATERIALS Reinforced edges and stitching for increased stability and hold weather resistant washable mesh for outdoor and indoor use The colors are neutral to blend in with most settings Ready to handle whatever you throw at it Accessories Easily attached with the enclosed tie straps Mommy s helper Prevent children from throwing toys clothing shoes keep your home clean Also avoid kids lean out for grab dropping stuffs and accidentally fall, About the product What you get 6 56 feet long x 3 feet high pearl color white indoor Safe Rail Safety rail net Harmonic Lifewares 6 56ft long x 3ft wide weatherproof see through mesh prevents your child from peaking through the railing throwing objects through the rail gaps Save your floors and railings from falling objects and ensure a safe environment for everyone
    • D

Geew,
      Ive seen those on Amazon also, but thought it would not work because there is no opening at bottom of rails, it's screwed into the wood side of steps. My husband was thinking of tying a black plastic rope tightly around the banisters. I was thinking of getting a mesh screen material like for window. We are looking for low cost fix Since we hope to move to a one story house.

• Johnavallance82

Fix Plexiglass (Perspex) to Railings or thread fabric in and out of fix boards .

• Melissa Montgomery

we used black plastic netting from home depot and cut the length to size because the height was perfect and then attached with black zip ties. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tenax-3-ft-x-15-ft-Plastic-Black-Hardware-Net-751397/100384025

• Marcheta Lynn Rodgers

The Amazon product recommended by DEEW does not require it to be attached under the bottom rail so can be used with a floor attached railing. It can be put on and taken off easily between house showings or open houses with no damage and not much hassel. Re look at the pick and check out the product.

• Melissa Montgomery

the material is flexible and you can probably weave it in and out of your banisters.

• Jewell Martin

dWow, Geew! That’s a fancy smart safety tool! I think grandma D should order this and use it in the new house, too. But if not, I suggest foamboard sheets tacked or tied to the outside of the railings. They are available at Dollar TRee and even grocery stores and home improvement stores. ☺️

• D

Jewel,
      Vert interesting idea and more affordable option to try first. Thank you!

• Geew

Wishing You Good Luck!

• Itsmemic

I love the black plastic mesh and zip ties idea. Looks great..and safe. Make sure you put the mesh on the INSIDE of the rails so it can't be pushed out.

• Joy30150932

Railings should be no more than 4 inches apart so if your toddler can put her head through that is extremely dangerous. For the interim, you could purchase a plastic mesh which you can then tie to the railing until you move.

• D

Joychevi,

My condo is 43 years old and stair case is original. I will follow suggestions on plastic mesh. Thank you

• Kiturah Humphrey

chicken wire threaded through and sealed to the bars with zip ties?

• V Smith

For an economical fix I would use plastic lattice (4 x 8) cut in half lengthwise and attached with wire ties (zip ties).

• D

Hmmmm. available at garden stores? I bought a few foam boards and plastic ties to try out that idea. If that doesn't work I'll try the lattice.