Where can a totally disabled veteran turn for DIY help?

My present home offers more hardships due to its age and layout. I had a team come in to elevate my home. Their opinion was it would take in excess of $100,000. That also if the zoning for the increased footprint would be approved. This leaves me hoping I can find a way to get my present home in the best shape for sale. I am not looking for charity just someway to make this affordable. Thank you

  13 answers
  • VickiC VickiC on Mar 11, 2018
    Have you thought about reaching out to your local VA?
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Mar 11, 2018
    Contact area churches, Habitat for Humanity - see if any of them would be willing to make some renovations.
    • Jcw32870665 Jcw32870665 on Mar 11, 2018
      Thank you but our local Habit for Humanity only builds new homes. The only church group I am aware of that does help with home problems foes not travel as far to the sat as I live. I understand as everyone has resource restraints. Thank you
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Mar 11, 2018
    Have you checked with the many veteran organizations for disabled vets out there? They may be able to help you. You didn't really say what the problem was with the house or what your disability is that makes the house unsuitable for you. There are many organizations out there that try to help people stay in there homes when there are problems due to physical limitations that make it hard to stay in their homes. This is not really charity, it is just people that think others should be able to stay in their homes even when they have physical limitations that they can help deal with.
    • See 3 previous
    • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Mar 11, 2018
      Right now he gets better care where we live. We are lucky to live maybe two miles from Mayo Clinic. The care may not be free, but he has decent insurance that covers most of it. We don't have to travel over a hundred miles just for an appointment that would take probably six months wait, when he can get in the same day. Mayo has a great community set up with its own building, lab, x-ray, pharmacy, etc.
  • Local HUD office, Department on Aging for your area/state.
  • Itsmemic Itsmemic on Mar 11, 2018
    It's time to admit defeat and go into a retirement community or apartment. I am at that stage now...I am suffering badly with a very small SS check....and old house falling down. Every dime I had...and have..is going into my home...and it's barely managing to maintain much less FIX. This is not the way to live. Anxiety and stress to keep a house we can't maintain is not a life.
  • Jcw32870665 Jcw32870665 on Mar 11, 2018
    My compensation places me just over the limits they set for income. Thank you but at 71 I am not about to add much more debt which will affect what I can leave my grandchildren.
  • Elaine Blackman Elaine Blackman on Mar 11, 2018
    • Disabled veterans may also qualify for a specially adapted home at no cost through Homes for Our Troops.
    Get help from Purple Heart Homes USA. The program provides housing assistance for veterans from all conflicts.
  • Elaine Blackman Elaine Blackman on Mar 11, 2018

    The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers several programs which may be useful to veterans, including the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) and Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grants, which have similar names but different eligibility requirements.8, 9
  • Sharon Sharon on Mar 11, 2018
    I would apply for a HUD or VA grant or loan for home repairs..... https://www.hud.gov/topics/home_improvements there are several kinds including very low income housing improvement
    If you have a case worker at Senior & Disabled Services, I've worked with them to get clients housing improvements using the HUD grants and Habitat for Humanity who does the work in our community
    Best of luck, I hope you get your adaptations.....
  • Janice Janice on Mar 11, 2018
    You said you have grandchildren. Your children (as a group, or one) need to take on the task of getting help for you. Sometimes us "seniors" are dismissed, but if your adult child can be your representative and not be intimidated by the red tape they are likely to get answers that may help you. As a Veteran, you should and are entitled to help. Someone (hopefully your relative) should wade through all the governmental red tape to get the help needed. It is not a matter of how much compensation you are receiving but a matter of getting to the correct authority for assistance. Plus, don't sell your comfort short. I imagine your grandchildren would rather receive less inheritance than know you suffered for a minute. Thank you for your service!
  • Jcw32870665 Jcw32870665 on Mar 11, 2018
    Thank you and hope your situation improves. Sorry, but I will not be warehoused which is what many of the government facilities look like.
  • M. M.. M. M.. on Mar 11, 2018
    I was very touched by all of the answers you have received - I certainly think something listed here will get you on the right track!
  • Mil Mil on Mar 17, 2018
    Not sure about the sale issue, but I believe this is something DAV can help with, at least accessibility. Or for your next home. I hope this helps.
    go to dav.org. I put in their search bar "home repair".

    Here is an article:

    Go to the article entitled " Volunteers, Community Repair Disabled
    Veteran's Home. It mentions doing repairs on the vet's home, but also,

    “We plan to replace the windows that were repaired. And we’re going to assist St. John in filing VA claims to make the trailer more accessible. We’re not done yet.”