Jane
Jane
Asked on Mar 11, 2018

Getting Mold/Mildew from shower

MichellePJ KelleyTheresa Lee
+4

I got a recipe from your site to remove mold and mildew from the calking on my shower floor. It consisted of 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide and a teaspoon of dish soap which I used blue Dawn. I mixed it up well and applied it to one part of the calking in the shower. I left it on there about 3 hours and it did nothing. I have breathing issues and cannot use those strong mildew sprays as they take my breath away. Is there a mixture of any other products that will remove the unsightly black on the calking and not damage my health. I did try the peroxide alone and it did not work either. Thanks, Jane Waller

• Nancy Turner

Try bleach water and see if that helps remove the staining. After it is clean and dry, spray the area with vinegar to kill any spores it can. If the mold/mildew has been there a long time, you may have to replace the caulking, it may have gotten into or behind the caulk. With breathing issues, you need to get rid of the problem before it worsens your health. There are many people that are really sensitive to mold/mildew presence in the home.
  • Imdb

Once the caulking is black, the mold is never going to come out. You'll need to scrape it out and reapply. Honestly, no worse than painting your nails.
  • Chubby58

Mold gets under caulking and on top of it. Your best bet would be to rip that stuff up and re-caulk.
  • Theresa Lee

Try taking Comet cleanser, either make a paste or shake it on the caulk, then lightly mist to dampen. Leave for several hours or overnight. I’ve used this to get the stains out of grout and have had success with caulk as well. However, with caulk, once the mold starts, it’s near impossible to get out. Eventually you will need to replace the caulk.
  • PJ Kelley

Best way to handle this is to simply replace the old caulk with new. I've not had any success with any product (homemade or otherwise) so we just periodically replace the old.
  • Michelle

I to have breathing issues. I am interested in the same as you would like to know what I can use. Thank you