The ceiling in my family room gets black from "soot" - suggestions?

+6
The fireplace is gas, the door is not glass but screen. This should not happen with a gas fireplace! Any suggestions?

• Jcraw Jcraw on Mar 12, 2018
    Don’t mess with gas. I’d call a pro for a diagnosis. I just looked up the problem on Google and there are several technical reasons it could be happening.
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Mar 12, 2018
    Hi Jamie815raval,
    I agree with Jcraw because I did the same thing. Call a professional to find out the underlying reason this is happening. Wishing you the best.
  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Mar 12, 2018
    It sounds like you have a back draft and so the smoke is coming back into your home. A pipe installation with air coming in from the outside to the fireplace should resolve your issue. Call your gas company and see if they have any suggestions for you.
  • Bink Bink on Mar 13, 2018
    i was going to suggest candles.. It happ
  • Bink Bink on Mar 13, 2018
    Happened to me from burning candles without trimming the wicks. Black soot everywhere!!
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Mar 13, 2018
    If you know the "soot" is from the gas fireplace, have it inspected by a professional. It may be burning incorrectly and need adjustment.
  • Jai7936241 Jai7936241 on Mar 13, 2018
    Thank you all....will look into all the suggestions.