M
M
  • Clarence Center, NY
Asked on Mar 13, 2018

Ideas to update our home on a budget?

EllisRhonda BrooksFRESHCUTKY
+2

We are planning on listing our home. We have zero landscaping and little funds left so we cant hire a landscaper. We had a budget for updating of 15 thousand and it was all spent on the interior kitchen and baths. Now the problem is we are having a problem picking out annual flowers as the deer eat everything. We are planting 6 evergreens but need annual flowers for color. We live in western NY (Buffalo) our house has a eastern exposure with lots of sun until 12-1 everyday

• Chubby58

You don’t have to add flowers. You said you added shrubbery. You renovated the most impotant rooms that make a house sell. Most buyers have their own ideas on landscaping anyway. You can put some groups of vinca or Mexican Heather
    In spots. Grind up some Irish spring soap and sprinkle around the flowers. The smell is very potent and should keep the deer away.
  • Cindy

You used your budget in all the right places. Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses. For your yard, you could put down grass seed for an inexpensive solution. For your uninvited dinner guests, spread out some shredded Irish Spring bar soap. Shred the bars on a box grater (that's what I use), or in a food processor. Spread it out around your plants and trees. Animals hate the smell and taste. I keep mine in a 5-gallon bucket in our shed. It has been the only thing that has worked for me. I reapply after rain. Best of luck to you, both on your garden and on the sale of your home.
  • FRESHCUTKY

The deer always leave my zinnias and cosmos alone. Maybe that helps?

• Rhonda Brooks

Silk flowers are amazing now. Just push them in the soil and add mulch. Add a door wreath and you’re set. Best wishes.
  • Ellis

After you plant the evergreens, maybe just concentrate on the area immediately around your front entrance. Make sure it's all cleaned, painted and polished, and put a really pretty planter pot there, filled with whatever appeals to you. You can buy ready-made planters at all the big box garden centers, when (or if) spring finally gets here.