Asked on Mar 13, 2018

How do I get rid of a watermark on my bedroom end table

Cynthia HMichelle LeslieWilliam
+9

• Cindy Hagemann
    Cindy Hagemann

Sand it down, restain
  • QBSF
    QBSF

Howard's Restore-a-Finish. No sanding at all. Use a soft cloth first. If that doesn't work, use fine steel wool.
    Works absolute miracles.
  • Kat8629957
    Kat8629957

This sounds strange but rub top with some full fat mayo and leave on for an hour then clean it off... then if it's gone just use your usual furniture polish. This has saved several vintage pieces for me. I'm also a huge fan of lemon oil to clean and bring life back to old wood.
  • Lisa S.
    Lisa S.

Restore-A-Finish. Rub on with soft cloth, wipe off with second cloth. Wear gloves. About $9.00 a can at hardware stores. Comes in finishes to match.
    William

No sanding, no steel wool, no finishing. That is extreme. Try Katlienes suggestion (does work). Also a clean cloth over the stain, iron set to low heat and iron it out. A dab of white (not gel) toothpaste on a damp cloth. Rub gently in a circular motion. wipe off and polish.
  • Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi there, apply a dab of mayonnaise with a soft cloth and rub it into the mark in small circular motions. Leave it on for an hour or two (or even overnight) and wipe and buff with a soft, clean cloth until. If the watermark is quite deep, dip a rag into a mild solvent such as mineral spirits or odorless paint thinners. Squeeze the excess out and then rub gently until the stain is gone. You will need to test that the solvent doesn’t harm the finish by putting a small amount on an inconspicuous spot (perhaps the underside). Best of luck

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! I recently salvaged an antique dresser top using a product that is waxy but, actually did lift out a dark water mark. I'll attach a link. I have also used the Restor-a-Finish made by the same company and it is excellent. You may need to use steel wool with it, but, it is an easy process. Go with the grain of the wood. Stay safe!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001BKQYGW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_vgWZFbHE712T0