Asked on Mar 13, 2018

Any advice on how to save a beautiful Redbud tree?

MeliJanet PizaroCda26140713

My Redbud tree has developed rot in the crotch of four large branches. Is there something I can do to keep the tree alive? I live in the northeast, and this tree is so beautiful, I hate to lose it. Thanks in advance.

• Cda26140713

We actually had our tree split in half. My husband cut it down leaving a stump of about 3 feet. It started to send up shoots and now looks like a bush. There were some buds last year, I cut it back again to get it to thicken up. It is located next to a Balsalm tree, so if it can be kept as a bush I'm ok with it.
    • Virginia S.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry that your tree had such awful damage. It is truly amazing though that it is coming back! Last fall I noticed the rot on my tree, so I bought another one, although it's so small I won't enjoy its full beauty in my lifetime. I planted it near the old one. All these nor'easter storms we've been having have been playing havoc on many trees in the area, including my beautiful redbud and dogwood trees. I hope you enjoy your redbud tree for many years to come.
    • Virginia S.

Hi Janet,
      Thanks for the website. I will check it out after I snow blow about 15" of snow tonight. I can hardly wait for spring and see my garden and trees!
  • Meli

treat with colloidal silver. Best make it yourself, as you wll need copiuous amounts of it.