Dye Your Easter Eggs Then SPRING CLEAN the House!

$1

What's really great about this is the kids might like to help with some of the cleaning since it seems "magically cool" with Kool-Aid, lol.

dye your easter eggs then spring clean the house

That's right, at a cost of about 25 cents per packet you can dye your Easter Eggs AND tackle some of your Spring Cleaning!

Use Kool-Aid packets (the no sugar version) to dye your Easter Eggs:

Mix one packet into 2/3 of a cup of cool water and stir until dissolved.

If you want to you can wipe the eggs down with vinegar and the color will take even better. Dunk your eggs into the Kool-aid water mixture till they are the color you want.

THEN use the leftover liquid to SPRING CLEAN!

It doesn't matter what color- they all work just fine because of the citric acid!

You can also buy just the CITRIC ACID at the store- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYFKM32/

CLICK TO ENLARGE TO SEE BEFORE TO AFTER
CLICK TO ENLARGE TO SEE BEFORE TO AFTER

Some Kool-Aid liquid goes in the empty washing machine (without clothing) to clean the inside and keep the smells away. I have the front load type so I pour it in at the fabric softener area since I get moldy discoloration there. If you have alot of discoloration make a paste (mentioned further down) and use a toothbrush to scrub at it.

You can also use some in the dishwasher- run it through a cycle with dishwasher detergent. I no longer have a dishwasher so no pix of that  but it works great and is cheaper then that product you buy. Also dump some down the garbage disposal for a fresh smell!

CLICK TO ENLARGE TO SEE BEFORE TO AFTER
CLICK TO ENLARGE TO SEE BEFORE TO AFTER

Some Kool-Aid liquid goes in the toilet- let it soak, scrub all around and flush! The longer it soaks, the better.

I have a really ancient icky toilet but it does make it look a lot better!

And no- it doesn't stain because the toilet is a non-porous surface.

I make a paste with the Kool-Aid liquid and baking soda to loosen up the hard water deposits around the sink faucets and in the basin.

It doesn't stain because the metal faucets and porcelain sink are non-porous surfaces.

CLICK TO ENLARGE TO SEE BEFORE TO AFTER
CLICK TO ENLARGE TO SEE BEFORE TO AFTER

I spread that Kool-Aid paste I made on the problem areas and let it sit awhile, then scrub. I love my Chinese Dragon faucet with the green oozing all about, lol. (I bought the faucet on Amazon and Hometalk has added the link below in resources ;)

If I have stains on my counter tops I use a bit to scrub the stain away but don't let it set because some counter tops are a bit porous and could stain. Scrub and wipe clean.

I also put some into a spray bottle with liquid Dawn dish soap and additional water to spray clean the counters, the shower walls, etc. It will not stain non-porous surfaces!

You can even use it on windows!

And yes, dump the last of the Kool-Aid down the drains in the house to do some final cleaning!

(Click on pictures to enlarge to see before, during, after)

• Debbie

What about cleaning the oven

• Becky Fanning

I think that using lemonade flavor would due best because the citric acid is higher and the smell is fresh plus staining would be less likely to happen and if it did it would be lighter. Fresh yellow eggs for Easter is so pretty you don't have to be a kid to enjoy them.

• Richard

Doesn't the color stain every think?

• Laura

When cleaning your toilet it says koolaid liquid, do I make a pitcher and pour it in?

• K

Applaud the enginuity of the idea. Here are some FYI’s or thoughts to ponder.....Remember in grade school making volcanos and mixing vinegar and baking soda to get the volcano to lava up and overflow? Same principle here, but using that chemical reaction for cleaning! Oh, idea....Red and orange koolaid might be used in those volcanos kids for the color! Might need vinegar and koolaid together, along with (base) baking soda or aka sodium bicarbonate. I have not tested that, so I could not say, but adding colorant with added citric acid (koolaid) sounds like a cool win in the final results!

When used in cleaning, IF citric acid (acid obviously) is your secret ingredient and baking soda is your (base), technically another acid could also be used and be cheaper, such as vinegar? FYI Citric acid can also be purchased online in various sizes from sites that sell items for homemade body products, like bath bombs for example, etc.

Now the coloring idea using koolaid is creative and utilizes the colorant and acid portion in the Koolaid! Those are some thoughts to ponder:)

• Bonnie Loken

Yes