Dye Your Easter Eggs and Then Spring Clean the House!

$1

Did you know that you can use Kool-Aid to clean your house?!?! Check out my step-by-step tutorial below and you'll be cleaning in color in no time! What's really great about this is the kids might like to help with some of the cleaning since it seems "magically cool" with Kool-Aid.

Kool Aid

That's right, at a cost of about 25 cents per packet you can dye your Easter eggs and tackle some of your spring cleaning!

DIY Easter Egg Dye

Use Kool-Aid packets (the no sugar version) to dye your Easter eggs:

Mix one packet into 2/3 of a cup of cool water and stir until dissolved.

If you want to you can wipe the eggs down with vinegar and the color will take even better. Dunk your eggs into the Kool-aid water mixture till they are the color you want.

Then use the leftover liquid to spring clean!

Citric Acid

It doesn't matter what color- they all work just fine because of the citric acid!

You can also buy just the citric acid at the store if you don't have any Easter eggs to dye.

Add to Your Washing Machine

Add to Your Washing Machine

Some Kool-Aid liquid goes in the empty washing machine (without clothing) to clean the inside and keep the smells away. I have the front load type so I pour it in at the fabric softener area since I get moldy discoloration there. If you have a lot of discoloration, make a paste (mentioned further down) and use a toothbrush to scrub at it.

You can also use some in the dishwasher- run it through a cycle with dishwasher detergent. I no longer have a dishwasher so no pix of that  but it works great and is cheaper than that product you buy. Also dump some down the garbage disposal for a fresh smell!

Add to the Toilet

Add to the Toilet

Some Kool-Aid liquid goes in the toilet- let it soak, scrub all around, and flush! The longer it soaks, the better.

I have a really ancient icky toilet but it does make it look a lot better!

And no- it doesn't stain because the toilet is a non-porous surface.

Make a Paste and Clean the Sink

Make a Paste and Clean the Sink

I make a paste with the Kool-Aid liquid and baking soda to loosen up the hard water deposits around the sink faucets and in the basin.

It doesn't stain because the metal faucets and porcelain sink are non-porous surfaces.

Add to the Sink

I spread that Kool-Aid paste I made on the problem areas and let it sit awhile, then scrub. I love my Chinese Dragon faucet with the green oozing all about. I bought the faucet on Amazon and Hometalk has added the link below in resources.

If I have stains on my counter tops, I use a bit to scrub the stain away, but don't let it set because some counter tops are a bit porous and could stain. Scrub and wipe clean.

I also put some into a spray bottle with liquid Dawn dish soap and additional water to spray clean the counters, the shower walls, etc. It will not stain non-porous surfaces!

You can even use it on windows!

And yes, dump the last of the Kool-Aid down the drains in the house to do some final cleaning!

Have any other cleaning hacks? Let me know in the comments down below.

• Michael Patton

I have this nasty, yellowish, sticky crud that builds up on the tile and floor board area near the corners of my bathtub. I have been using the ventilation fan during showering but it still happens. Could it be the type of soap I am using? Suggestions please. What is it and what is the best product for cleaning it? Thank you.

• Bek

OH GOOD HEAVENS! What genius leap of the imagination lead you from eggs to super-cleaner? I don't dye eggs anymore, but I can certainly order the citric acid, and not worry about staining at all!

• Cathy S.

Make sure no scratches in porcelain before using this. Dye could adhere there?

• Shea

This sounds like so much fun, I've got to try it with my 5 yr old granddaughter.

• Corvina

When I was taking Org. Chem, we used to clean EVERYTHING with original Tang powder. Only use enough water to make a super thick paste and grab your toothbrush!

Bye bye bathroom scum!!