Refinished Bedroom Furniture

$250

Actually this is just one piece of an entire bedroom suite I am working on! Stored out in a shed, the funky, orangish oak finish...yuck! I told hubby that I wanted the whole set. He laughed, and helped load it up.

This is from the ad I saw...a whole set. Lovely!

I removed the drawers, took off the hardware, and let the sanding begin! I start with a 120 grit and finish with a fine grit. I make sure I use the orbital sander so I don’t mess up the grain.

You guys know I always miss steps! I went with a custom mixed chalk paint, and went over that with a custom mixed gray glaze! I stained the tops and the drawers fronts with a custom mixed stain. If you notice the powder....the pieces had a bit of a musty smell...baking soda to the rescue!

I put the drawers in to see how it looked. I went over all the hardware with rub n buff (I love that stuff!) don’t forget to use a spray sealant in hardware though! I finished this set with General Finishes wipe on sealer.

Put the hardware back on...and look how beautiful!

I was so excited I didn’t take pictures of each piece during the process...

But look! Beautiful...we ended up keeping it all except the dresser (it wouldn’t fit in guest room).

• MollyBetter

Beautiful! How do you use baking soda to get the musty smell out?

• Elaine Shaughnessy

You can also add a couple drops of essential oil (peppermint or lemon or whatever scent you enjoy) to the baking soda before you sprinkle it on

• Murf

Why I you use chalk paint on so many projects..??

• Julie

I love this.. My question is I can never find real wood furniture. Everything these days is fake wood.. So how can I recycle or redo a night stand / dresser or end table if its not real wood . Does that make sense?

• Kathrine Anderson

For real wood I would go to antique and second hand stores. You can usually find solid pieces for good prices. I think older furniture is built so much better than what's made these days.