Don Casale
Don Casale
  • Lebanon, ME
Asked on Mar 14, 2018

Is roof-raking necessary with Ice & Water Shield?

WilliamCynthia HJanet Pizaro

My roofer used Ice & Water Shield underlayment, covering the entire roof, before installing new shingles. Do I still need to rake the roof when it snows?

question for you why did you not discuss that with the roofer
    • Don Casale

I did, but I want another opinion. He seems to think raking is no longer necessary to prevent ice dams. I think the ice can still work its way under the shingles from an ice dam, although the ice shield has prevented the roof from leaking. But if that's so, I don't like the idea of ice/water under the shingle. It's probably ok, but I'd like the opinion of an experienced roofer.
  • Cynthia H

I think that underlayment is more to protect you from leaks and damming. Weight is a different issue. If too much snow builds up on your roof it can cause structural damage.

Cynthia H is correct. It's the weight of the snow that needs to be raked not the concern of ice damning.