Asked on Mar 15, 2018

Hanging lamp conversion to floor lamp

Bga14199425JayJcraw
+7

I would like to convert a tiffany-style hanging lamp (see pic) into a floor lamp, any ideas? Thanks in advance.
q hanging lamp conversion to floor lamp
  • Cindy

Hi Ratsnej, I saw a post where a person made a floor lamp using upside down crutches. She took the crutches apart and made a tripod with them. She painted it black. It was very cute. That was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. You need something to make a tripod with. Then secure to the inside of your lamp. You will also need a light conversion kit so that your floor lamp will have a plug. I hope this info gets your creative juices flowing. Best of luck to you.
    • Rat13551241

Thanks, I'll look into this. I have crutches in the basement that are just taking up space, hope to not need them for their intended purpose again.
  • Joanie

I can't help but I love your idea......the tiffany shade is beautiful! Good luck!!
  • SpudBread

GO TO A THRIFT STORE -- get a used floor lamp style you'd like to use .. remove old shade ... put your shade on top-- no problem. no hassle, and it's a DONE DFEAL-- no fuss, and foolishness. Very simple switch-e-roo, I do it all the time-- I move my lamp shades around all over the place. ENJOYYYY -- you'll love it!!!
  • Jcraw

As above, it’s very simple. The big But is that this is a large shade and you Must have a largish diameter base for balance, or over it goes when the first person bumps into it. The center stalk should also be substantial. Personally, I’d look for a wooden floor lamp which you could paint to suit. Or perhaps an old wooden coat rack that’s lost it’s arms. They were made for weight-bearing.
  • Bga14199425

This is what I did
    , The shade was hanging in the middle of the ceiling so it was removed The floor lamp stand was from a thrift store and painted black, There was no other modifications I put the shade in top and added a finial which I removed for the picture, That s it So simple
  • Jay

Love it! I have a stained glass hanging lamp that doesn't go with my changed Dining Room decor, but it will look perfect next to my reading chair in my den!! Thank you!
  • Bga14199425

stability is not an issue. Of course, I have it in a corner where only 1 side is exposed, but it has been there for decades with numerous cats around, so no issues.