Easy Rug Painting Gives It a New Look

$5

I had this plain lite sage color rug laying around and wanted to make it look better for my kitchen sink area. So I thought I would give it some character with a stencil and some paint.
I used a stencil and taped in place.
I already had a stencil so I didn’t have to purchase. I used painters tape to secure in place. I had acrylics in black, white, red and a country blue.
Laid out my design
I mixed my colors with Delta fabric medium and got started. I had enough stencils brushes make up four different trays of colors. I alway save yogurt tubs for painting and the lids worked great for this project.
First design done.
I used my fingers to push down down stencil when I was painting to make sure it didn’t bleed under the stencil.
Finished the design
During the painting process I would wet my brush to moisten up paint so it wasn’t to dry. Had to be careful not to spread the other colors. I did have to go back over the white to brighten up more. But I do have to say it was super easy to do, and it saved this rug from going to the thrift store. I did spray a light coat of clear over the top just in case.
I used small area of stencil for centers
In the centers I just used the inner area of stencil. It turned out much better than I thought with the higher pile of carpet.
Waverly stencel
I had found some stencils at hobby lobby on sale, so I snatched them up.
Delta fabric medium
I had the fabric medium from when I painted my bar stools.
My four different acrylic paints I used. Considering that I had most everything here the cost was next to nothing.

25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas

• Ruth
    Ruth

Thank you Nancy

• Judi Pennella
    Judi Pennella

OK You've convinced me. I live in an apartment with an ugly beige carpet. I have a remnant of carpet. Think I'll try to make it into an area rug.