Easy Rug Painting Gives It a New Look

$5

I had this plain lite sage color rug laying around and wanted to make it look better for my kitchen sink area. So I thought I would give it some character with a stencil and some paint.
easy rug painting gives it a new look, I used a stencil and taped in place
I used a stencil and taped in place.
I already had a stencil so I didn’t have to purchase. I used painters tape to secure in place. I had acrylics in black, white, red and a country blue.
easy rug painting gives it a new look, Laid out my design
Laid out my design
I mixed my colors with Delta fabric medium and got started. I had enough stencils brushes make up four different trays of colors. I alway save yogurt tubs for painting and the lids worked great for this project.
easy rug painting gives it a new look, First design done
First design done.
I used my fingers to push down down stencil when I was painting to make sure it didn’t bleed under the stencil.
easy rug painting gives it a new look, Finished the design
Finished the design
During the painting process I would wet my brush to moisten up paint so it wasn’t to dry. Had to be careful not to spread the other colors. I did have to go back over the white to brighten up more. But I do have to say it was super easy to do, and it saved this rug from going to the thrift store. I did spray a light coat of clear over the top just in case.
easy rug painting gives it a new look, I used small area of stencil for centers
I used small area of stencil for centers
In the centers I just used the inner area of stencil. It turned out much better than I thought with the higher pile of carpet.
easy rug painting gives it a new look, Waverly stencel
Waverly stencel
I had found some stencils at hobby lobby on sale, so I snatched them up.
easy rug painting gives it a new look, Delta fabric medium
Delta fabric medium
I had the fabric medium from when I painted my bar stools.
easy rug painting gives it a new look
My four different acrylic paints I used. Considering that I had most everything here the cost was next to nothing.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 21, 2018 10:24 PM - More info

• Roberta Taylor

Acrylic paint will hold???

• Penny

Im going to try this on a rug I have and show picture when I'm done thank for sharing its beautiful

• Roberta Taylor

Acrylic paint will hold???

• Penny

Yespecially make sure you put the stuff for fabric in the paint so it doesnt wash out some called medium

• Ruth

Thank you Nancy

• Judi Pennella

OK You've convinced me. I live in an apartment with an ugly beige carpet. I have a remnant of carpet. Think I'll try to make it into an area rug.