Easy Rug Painting Gives It a New Look

19K Views
I had this plain lite sage color rug laying around and wanted to make it look better for my kitchen sink area. So I thought I would give it some character with a stencil and some paint.
Time: 1 HoursCost: $5Difficulty: Easy
I already had a stencil so I didn’t have to purchase. I used painters tape to secure in place. I had acrylics in black, white, red and a country blue.
I mixed my colors with Delta fabric medium and got started. I had enough stencils brushes make up four different trays of colors. I alway save yogurt tubs for painting and the lids worked great for this project.
I used my fingers to push down down stencil when I was painting to make sure it didn’t bleed under the stencil.
During the painting process I would wet my brush to moisten up paint so it wasn’t to dry. Had to be careful not to spread the other colors. I did have to go back over the white to brighten up more. But I do have to say it was super easy to do, and it saved this rug from going to the thrift store. I did spray a light coat of clear over the top just in case.
In the centers I just used the inner area of stencil. It turned out much better than I thought with the higher pile of carpet.
I had found some stencils at hobby lobby on sale, so I snatched them up.
I had the fabric medium from when I painted my bar stools.
  • easy rug painting gives it a new look
My four different acrylic paints I used. Considering that I had most everything here the cost was next to nothing.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 9, 2018 10:43 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.