Adding Moulding Details to Home Decor

$30

Here is a quick how to add detailing to your home decor with moulding and paint. Further details are at this blog link which also links to a bread box done in the same finish.

adding moulding details to home decor

I used acrylic caulking to make the moulds, this is an inexpensive way to get flexible moulding in no time. I went with the clear caulking but white would be just fine too as it will all be painted. I chose Iron Orchid Designs moulds to create my designs.

adding moulding details to home decor

Once I had enough made it was time to apply them to the pieces , I chose a large wood candlestick and a round glass vase. The flexible caulking made setting in place super easy and if not right, easily removed and set in a new position. Once all was looking good I added glue and taped in place to dry.

adding moulding details to home decor

Then is was time to add color, I painted everything in a dark grey from Fusion Mineral paint called ash mixed with their fresco texturing powder. This added more texture and dimension to the pieces. Once all was dry I added a top coat of Fusion paint in light grey called pebble and sanded back to reveal the dark grey in places.

adding moulding details to home decor

This gave the pieces loads of dimension and texture and created an old world plaster look.

Creative Moments

• HandyGirl

I didnt think paints would permanently stick to silicone? Did you mix something else with it? Also, I have some molds that I have never gotten around to using. How do you get the material to release from the mold? Do you spray it with Pam?

• Elizabeth Pullan

take a sharp olfa knife and slice the caulking out run the blade close to the tub and then close to the wall it will cut out the black silicone, it works easy peasey then re-caulk!

• Theresa Penrod

If you painted the lighter gray last and then sanded it back to show the darker gray why isn't the details showing up dark? You know with raised details being lighter it looks like you did a dry brush technique with the lighter gray. It just looks that way to me. They are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

• Janerose

Dry brushing would probably work n it would eliminate the step n mess of sanding

• Betty Dyson

How did you create the mold?