Entry Way Closet Makeover

$150

After moving into our new house and unpacking quickly, we're now at the point that it's time to organize. The entryway in our new house is bigger, but since it's the only entry, it's the main drop zone. I was tired of coming home to see piles of boots, shoes, jackets - so I decided to makeover the coat closet. I needed this space to work harder for our family.

What a mess!

First, I cleaned everything out then took off the doors. I was surprised at how big the space actually was when empty. Now I was ready for construction. 

I found and marked the wall studs. Then cut a 2x4 to size and screwed it to the studs along the back wall and each side of the closet.   

I cut 1x6 planks for the bench seat to the width of the closet. I placed the planks on the 2x4 cleat I had just installed and then nailed them to the 2x4s underneath.  

To add support to the bench and to give a more cubby like appearance, I cut some 3/4" plywood pieces as support braces, then nailed these to the bench seat. 

For the side storage, I anchored 1x2 cleats to the studs, then added 1x12 shelves. I placed small and large storage bins from IKEA onto the shelves and floor.

Warm, rich color.

Then I painted the walls SW Silver Strand, and the shelves with a Bin primer and Behr Alkyd paint. 

I stained the bench with GF Espresso Water Based Wood Stain by just wiping it on with a sponge.    

Goodbye chaos- Hello organization!

As you can see the entry way is more organized and useful. I'm very pleased with how this turned out.

For even more details on this project click on the blog link below.

👇👇👇👇

http://www.rootsandwingsfurniture.com/blog/entrywaycloset

Be sure to follow me on Facebook @RootsandWingsFurniture for more tips and advice!

Stay Creative!

Jenni Ingram

• Couchetta Ramos

What happens to the coats and jackets. It seems you have lost the space to them

• Marie R

Dont think you missed anything it looks great looks like plenty of space when you clean out a closet you always get rid of stuff everybody knows that

• Linda M Stanton Lake

My daughter in law. Dye her hair red. And now I have red ring in my tub now. I have try every thing and nothing work. Got any ideal! Thank you

• Diane Horn DeMontalvo

So what happened to the "stuff"? It's easy to throw it out. The object is to organize.

• Marie R

It looks great..simple..clean..! Not overdone

• Marie R

Have a back closet just like it only it's longer but right at the back door and I'm taking the doors off and I love your layout it's perfect

• Marie R

Oh you did take the doors off