DIY Closet Shelving

$60

Hi, it’s Brittany from Our Home Made Easy! I am passionate about sharing easy DIY projects around the house for other busy families.

Today I wanted to share how we took this builder grade bathroom closet and turned it into an organized closet with shelves that we can really use!

You can see the full tutorial on OurHomeMadeEasy here.
diy closet shelving
We built our home about 4 years ago. This linen closet is weirdly shaped in our master bathroom. It's 14 inches deep by more than 50 inches wide. The shelves extend behind the door frame over towards the left wall and then end by the shower tile.
diy closet shelving
The basic wire racks had supports that came down and pretty much left most of the surface area useless. We couldn't place anything wide in the closet because the supports would get in the way.

I struggled keeping anything standing upright since the wire was just far enough apart to make sure all my spray bottles fell over.

The current wire racks were about 12 inches deep and our towels hung awkwardly off the front of the lip. It wasn't a deal breaker, but just one of those things that would've been nice to fix up since we were already planning to organize.
diy closet shelving
We ended up building custom shelving for the closet for less than $60!

First, we removed all the existing wire racking and supports. Then we filled in the existing anchor holes.

Once they were filled, we sanded and painted the closet a bright white.
diy closet shelving
Next up it was time to find shelving that fit the entire space and would allow us to use the entire shelf, not have supports in the way. We didn't want to pay for custom shelving from a shelving store, so we decided to DIY  this part.

My husband bought 15 inch deep by 8 foot wide MDF shelves. We found them at a local hardware store, Menard's. They cost about $11 apiece!

We picked up 5 shelves to replace the 5 levels we were already using.
Using both a table saw & circular saw, he cut them down to fit into the depth of the closet and the width needed.

To avoid the support issue we had before, we installed these slim brackets.
diy closet shelving
And here is the closet AFTER!

Now, the towels fit on shelves completely.

These galvanized metal storage bins look great but are super light. You can find them here using my affiliate link for the metal storage bins.

The wicker baskets on the bottom shelf hold the heavier items like body wash and large club-sized bottles. To keep them from scratching the new shelving, we are planning to add some clear plastic bumpers on the bottom of each basket.

These little white & green boxes hold all my nail polishes. My original thought was to find small baskets, but everything we found had a wicker or uneven bottom.
diy closet shelving
Thank you so much for checking out how we made this closet less builder grade and more custom!

Follow me on Facebook at 'Our Home Made Easy' so that you can see our latest projects! www.facebook.com/ourhomemadeeasy

Brittany | Our Home Made Easy

• Lynda Hill

Why do they insist on putting linen closets next to a shower. The dampness gets into everything. Must be men designing these ideas.

• KKAbsherwrites

I plan on doing the same to our pantry. I have those same shelf brackets, but cannot find the correct size screw for them. Do you remember what you used? Thank you! This looks great!

• Marcy

Have you thought of putting felt on the bottom of the wicker baskets? It will allow you to slide them in and out easily where the little plastic bumpers will not.

• Bobbie

I have this same useless type shelving all over in my mobile home. Time to change it out so it looks as clean and organized as yours! Thank you for sharing.

• Twyla J Boyer

Your project is lovely and in the case of a bathroom closet it makes total sense to want solid shelving. Bottles, sprays, etc. don't do well on wire (though they do if they are in baskets or boxes).

However, I am perplexed by the adamant dislike of wire shelves in general. I have ripped out wood shelves to install wire in several closets. They are great for some things - like storing fabric so it can breathe and not end up smelling stale.