Angela Whaley
Angela Whaley
  • Wilmington, NC
Asked on Mar 16, 2018

I would like to know how to decorate a built in bookcase ?

Gale Allen JennessSusanJna16608771
+3

I do not just want books it is from floor to ceiling 10 ft wide. I like horses.

• Cindy

Hi Angela, Bookcases should be decorated with one-third books, one-third knick knacks of some kind, like framed pics, or even plants, and one-third open space. I happen to know this from watching a lot of Home and Garden TV. Wishing you all the best. Good luck.
  • Sharon

I arrange my decoys on a built-in next to the fireplace, you can paint the back of the built-in for a pop of color to brighten a room, or if you like pattern you can use peel n stick removable wallpaper. For one that wide, I might add a few stacks of horse books here and there.... You could add some plates on tiny stands or colored glass ones for color. I like to see some verticle and some horizonal elements to the design.... so I play around with it until it pleases my eye.... https://www.pinterest.com/pin/252060910377478156/
  • Gather all your horse items plus any other items you may have to decorate with. It just takes time to play with various combinations of treasures to achieve the easy casual elegance that I am sure you are looking for. Want a photo of one of mine?

Here are some great links for you to peruse.

• Jna16608771

Why not use some family photo's in colored frames, also some horse pictures. Large or small. Pretty vase's, tuck in some flowers here and there, some hydrangea are so nice, they have such pretty colors. Just lay them on the shelves here and there. They look nice on top of kitchen cabinets that are not closed in, with a pretty vase or small statue of some sort.
  • Susan

Put books on one shelf, with pictures of the family, and plant real low light plants to clean and purify the air. Also put some silk flowers for color, and an oblong mantel clock. Place a couple of Ivy’s at the top to trail down.
  • Gale Allen Jenness

If you like horses, then I’d try making it a show case for horses with pictures and/or statues, etc. You could also even add some books with a horse subject matter! Start collecting your horse collectibles and add them to your bookcase in a nice showcase that you’ll be proud of and enjoy looking at as well as showing off when your friends come around! Nice thing about projects like this, is you can always rearrange if you don’t like it or if you just want a different look for a change! And you don’t necessarily have to get different items to make it look completely different either! So have fun with it and make it a part of you! Either way, it’ll look great!