Barb Locke
Barb Locke
  • Rochester, NY
Asked on Mar 16, 2018

I have an entire bolt of burlap and I want to make rugs out of it.

JcrawJanet Pizaro

I think the best way to do it would probably involve handsewing a few layers of burlap that are cut to the same size and then maybe painting it to decorate. What type of paint should I use and will it be OK to walk on or put outside? Should I use hand sewing techniques like embroidery instead?

http://juliecache.com/2013/06/18/pin-it-do-it-make-a-burlap-rug/.html.....If it is going outside you will need a spray fabric paint that can withstand outdoor weather
  • Jcraw

You do realize burlap sheds for a very long time and gets limp as a rag when washed. Better to make curtains in my mind.
    If you’re determined about the rugs, which, yes, can be great painted, I would at least use a heavy canvas backing like painters cloth. Another alternative would be to get a length of inexpensive indoor/outdoor carpet from HD or Lowe’s (they are on huge rolls in the back) and sew (and maybe fabric glue) on the canvas top. You’re then non-slip as well.