Asked on Mar 16, 2018

How do I keep ants , squirrels, and skunks out of my flower 🌺 garde

BetsyGale Allen JennessDesertRose
+1

• DesertRose

Ants are easily rid of by putting out corn meal. It kills them. Put it on their mounds or where you see a steady stream of them. Skunks can be kept out with chicken wire or some other decorative fence. Squirrels are masters at getting around barriers. All you can do for squirrels is distract them with their own little dish of goodies that is better than the garden. For example, my dad nailed a big flat pan or old hub cap to the top of a post on the side of the yard. The squirrels gravitated to it and did not bother the garden any longer as they preferred sunflower seeds or peanuts to anything in the garden.
  • Gale Allen Jenness

For ants I use ant poison I usually buy at the home improcement center or sometimes at the grocery store as well! Those little ant traps you can sit around your garden or home work pretty well too! As far as squirrels and skunks goes, there’s a repellent you also can buy that will help keep them out of your garden. Only problem with this chemicals is if it rains or you need to water your garden very much? You’ll need to reapply these repellents! Otherwise if it remains dry you have to reapply every 90 days! So this can get a little speedy! But with any luck the animals will learn to stay away after some time has past with the repellent on your flower garden and you won’t need to use it as often if at all? If they get trained to stay away? I know there are deer resistant plants as well, there may be other plants that will deter the rabbits and skunks too? I would check with the nursery in your area or maybe a agricultural extension in your area may be able to advise you with better info then I can? Best of luck, I’m always fighting to keep my flower gardens unmolested too! BT,W. little dogs like mine that are trained pretty well are also great at chasing critters off my property! But if you have skunks that’s not the best of ideas! My one little dog got tangled up with a skunk once and I used every commercial product on the market and every home made remedy I could find on the internet for skunk smell and none of it worked very well! Even years later every time I gave her a bath the smell came right back stronger then ever! About 10 years it finally went away!

For the ants, I use a mixture of 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 powdered sugar. Mix it up and spread it where ever you see the ants. They will take it to their nest and share it. They can't pass gas, so it will kill them. Anything else that can pass gas, dogs, cats, kids, husbands, will not be harmed. If you are going to put the mixture outside, put it into a pill bottle and cut a hole on one edge of the cap so that the ants can go in and out. If it rains, the mixture will stay dry. As for the animals, make a mixture of 16 ounces of water and 1 bottle of Oil of Clove or Clove Oil - same thing, just different names. You can get it at any candy making store or where ever they sell candy making supplies. The bottle is about 2" tall and only costs a couple of bucks. Mix this with the water in a spray bottle and spray where the animals are going. It smells wonderful but tastes icky. Once they get a taste of this, they will scat. You may have to reapply if it rains. You can use this indoors on anything your dog or cat is getting into and you don't want them to mess with. This is completely safe in case they get a bit too much - never use the oil full strength - on their tongues. When I was young - a zillion years ago - this was what was used on a toothache. I don't know if it worked or tasted so bad we just didn't complain any more:)