Carol
Carol
  • Canada
Asked on Apr 26, 2014

Attic stairs

Kimberlee parkerBeckyGon1234713
+218

I have just finished my attic.I wanted something to tie into mu shabby chic decor for it and do not like the store boughten runners as they are all the same.I used rag rugs.Does anyone think this looks tacky or is it something you would do in your home
q attic stairs, flooring, repurposing upcycling, stairs
  • Susan McMillin

Very nice

• Catherine Westergaard

I have a couple of store bought rag rugs, not the best, but I liked the idea. I think your stairs look lovely, and the photos of the attic are beautiful! Looks like a great space to curl up with a good book and some iced tea!

• Carol

@Catherine Westergaard Thanks so much and should you ever be in this area you are most welcome to use it as a gettaway

• P.j. C

I like it very much!

• Annamarie Longfellow

LOVE the attic

• Gwen Russell Spry

love the attic, don't care for the runner on the stairs. Just personal taste.

• Beth Fidalgo

for going up to the attic I think it is so cute! What a lovely attic! Where in Canada are you? We may take a trip one day! :) Thank you for sharing!

• Carol

A little town named Sarnia in Ontario.If you ever do take that trip I would love to show you the whole attic.Too many things to capture in a picture.

• Peggie Wilson

I think it looks adorable!

• Catherine Westergaard

Thanks Carol! I'll bring my favorite tea cup and architecture books :)

• Ann Brownlee

I love your attic. A special place that you can relive days of your childhood :)

• Karen Third

Love the idea! I purchased about 15 of these rugs -at 1$ apiece- and used them for a runner to my basement family room a dozen years ago... instant colour... easy to clean and replace ... very family friendly ...

• Bab331602

Agreed Carol, I was thinking that also!

• Melody ten Berge

I find it quite unique. I love it.

• Sandra K Gibson

It's amazing ,during the 60s people recycled old clothes into rag rugs in the uk,I can remember making a rag rug runner for our stairs,,hessian cloth and old cotton dresses,I was so proud of that runner.So yes I love what you have done

• Val

I like it! What a great use of rag rugs. I have several in my home and use one as a table runner.

• Stephanie George

It's lovely.

• Debbie Markland

How did you secure it to your stairs? It's lovely.

• Carol

I used a staple gun.They are very inexpensive so easily taken off to wash,The beauty of these rugs is that they never wear out.

• Donna Beaulieu

I like it alot

• Susie Allread-Jones

I dont like it either, but you say that the rugs never wear out? I need to get some if that is true because I wear out kitchen rugs all the time! My mom used to use these if I recall.

• GR

I did think of that (no they don't have a riser) but I wasn't sure whether it would look odd? Also if you cut them to size they start unravelling! I need someone on Hometalk to try it and post the results :)

• Carol

@GR I was able to do this without cutting more then one rug.They do indeed unravel When I came to the last step I folded and sewed a piece of material to the back of the rug.I then stapled to the base of the last step and got a nice finished look.

• Carol

thanks to all for feedback.Am wondering if anyone has any unique ideas on how to market this attic.It is to pretty to just sit empty,decorating this space has brought me much joy at a time I needed it most.I am a senior and find that alone, reduces my earning power.I am single and buying this home to renovate has helped to fill my time.This home was in a bulldoze state and has become the talk of the street.My friends thought I was crazy to take on such a big job at my age.I have been told my entire life that I should be tapping into my strengths and putting my ideas to use.I am able to see as use for almost everything others would toss.I have done everything in this home on a dime store pocket book.Thoughts anyone?

• Gwen Russell Spry

@Carol As I posted earlier, what an awesome guest room for a young or not so young woman, it is private yet as close as the stairway. Everyone have company, and sometimes not so sure where to put them.

• Jodie Card Nystrom

VERY nice I love it.

• GR

I'm starting to wish I hadn't gone for open stairs now and had kept the risers, not least because I get a lot of dust etc dropping through! I wanted to keep it as open as possible because I live in a 300 year old house and I don't get much light, but to be honest (as the stairs are in the middle of the house) I don't think it makes a lot of difference. I suspect I would have to cut every rug if I was wrapping it around the stair :(

• Shannon S

I love this, it's such a happy look. :-)

• Karen Ray

This is a very old, very good idea recycled again. I remember from the 50's.

• DLAK

If you like the look, that is all that matters.

• Shelley S

Ingenious. I love it when people think outside the box.

• Beverly

I must like it because I did the same thing 30 years ago with my farmhouse' back stairs. It's true about not wearing out. Mine is still looking great all these years later.

• Carol

Good to know.Thanks

• Linda Skinner

I like it alot. great look!

• Sally holway

Love it! What a great idea and thanks for sharing!

• Brenda De Lair

What matters is whether or not YOU like it! It is also hard to take the image out of context. Better judgement could be made if the whole room is seen.

• Carol

@Brenda De Lair I wish could show the whole room but it is to long.I did post some pictures on here earlier of other parts of the attic

• Gwen Russell Spry

When and if you decide to sell, this is an awesome guest room for a young or younger person. They will feel special, with privacy yet close .

• Chantelle Joy

How clever are you! Is it ok if I borrow your idea?

• Felicity Woodruffe

have you scotch guarded it to prevent staining as i imagine this will be hard to clean when required/ by the way its truly simply beautiful and you are very clever i have painted my stairs with floor paint and cant find a decent priced runner but have a pound store near by that sells these rugs

• Carol

@Felicity Woodruffe no did not scotch guard but good idea thanks

• Janet S

I was going to do the same thing for a rug on my front porch, but couldn't really find them the same size.

• Carol

@Janet S Janet you are right.You cannot get them the same size.Mine in the picture are not the same size.I believe it is not noticeble because the rags have so many colors.If you look at my response,not one person noticed.Not even you so I would not worry about that.Good luck

• Karen Reames

I remember rag rugs on my grand parents stairway...looks like old times to me, great look!

• Cindy

Love it!!!

• Linda V

Yeah..but pointint out an obvious grammatical error in a public post is not considered 'not nice.' Notice I didn't say anything about that runner? That would've been 'not nice.'

• Amy Rohde

That is just precious! Perfect for an attic!! Did you staple it?

• Kathy Tormaschy

Love it. Don't change a thing

• Susan T

Very cool!

• Mary

What a great idea!

• Carol

Yes I did staple it

• JEWRLYMAKER

THAT LOOKS AWESOME I WOULD DO IT MY SELF GREAT IDEA

• Judy J

Love this idea!!! Would be good for basement stairs too. I bought rag rugs,made from blue jeans, from the veterans home in Marshalltown Ia. years ago. The vets make them.They last forever and they save on wear to carpets by the front door.

• Carol

those wanting other pictures of attic they are posted on here just scroll up

• Melissa Faulkner

I love it! I'm so glad the Grammar Gestapo showed up to police this article. Without their constructive criticism I fear my head might have exploded from reading the "word " boughten. Now I feel I can get on with my day without fearing for my life. Thank you! Actually, maybe you should just get over your smug selves and enjoy the article by celebrating the creativity and design style of the person who posted her pictures.

• Carol

happy to be at a point in life that I have no time to sweat the small things.I asked for opinions and got them.Most positive.I think that speaks for itself.everyone is entitled to an opinion.Thanks to all .I am on this site to share ideas and my opinion.Have a wonderful day.

• Lisa Adler

I did this at my old house, built in the late 1800's. It worked great and I still love the look!

• Maryanna K

Looks terrific! Great idea!!

• Barbara Wolfe

TACKY!

• Barbara Wolfe

You asked

• Carol

I did ask and happy to get your opinion.It is my policy to never ask a question I do not want the answer to.

• Joyce Carroll

It reminds me of the rugs my grandmother used to make. I like it.

• Denise

I like it it probably was cheaper to use the rag rugs..did you nail them in ???

• Leah M

I think its cute, but I don't have stairs. Even if I did have stairs, my cats wouldn't let me have them.

• Jeani

I love it!

• Sheryll Ellery

How did you attach them, I would like to do this going into my cellar but am worried about a trip hazard, Im a bit of a klutz

• Carol

@Sheryll Ellery I stapled but please keep in mind these are not where there is heavy traffic,could be dangerous.I have no children,pets and not many visitors

• Chris aka monkey

@Carol i love it makes me jealous i don't have stairs great job xx

• Peggy D

I think it is very pretty and cottage-like.

• Dawn Koch Celmins

cute but it would depend on the surroundings if it works or not.

• Mary Anne Frick

at first I thought is was tacky BUT....thinking the stairs are leading into the attic, it is very appropriate and cute! nice job!

• Carol

@Mary Anne Frick Thanks.I agree this is not for every room

• I think it's fun! In the right home with the right furnishings it's awesome

• Carol

thanks

• Susan Harrier

I think it's very shabby chic...I love it!

• Deidrea O

Love it!

• Edna Daugherty

Did you weave it yourself? Is it one continuous piece?

• Carol

@Edna Daugherty I did not weave it.This is 6 scatter rag rugs stapled to stairs.Beauty of these rugs is so many colors you cannot tell where they start and colors are no pattern.It appears to be one but just started at top and stapled to bottom.When finished sewed a piece of material to back before cutting to end and staple.These rugs are lovely but will unravel when cut .

• Sherie Walden

very pretty, love this.

• Wanda Meunier

With these rugs you can also use the lil round rods and pit them in center bottom of steps

• Debra Whaley

nice like it

• Carol

thanks

• Carol

thanks,hers look great

• Andi Cacciatore

I think it looks great!

• Opal

I like it as well, makes me want to see where it goes.

• Bev

attic stairs...like it.

• Lori Rothermund

I love it also. Where did you find the rugs at?

• Brenda De Lair

Well I think it looks terrific. I may be stealing the idea.

• Carol

I hope you do.Thanks

• Lisa Morales

They look good. Now show us your finished attic :)

• I like it, it is a good look for country living, is what comes naturally for me..I may do this in one of our rental homes..

• Cindy Greenwell

I will be added to the stairs going to my quilt shop, have left the stairs unfinished up to this point and now heres my answer ,thanks you so much

• Cdeedrick

You can wash them. That's a big deal, because steps get so soiled.

• Debra

I agree that in want to see the attic space too, cute idea

• Gon1234713

I love it our old dog has a hard time going upstairs they are a little slipper I think this project would be perfect. Thanks

• Carol

Glad you like them some have asked to see the attic finished going to try too put pictures on as it is done

, Stairs to attic, What is at top of stairs as you enter, Wall going up stairs, Once past stairs, Where guests sign book
    • See More
  • Becky

I love your stair treads. How did you attach them to the stairs so they don't slip? Also, I am crazy about your little shelf that displays the doilies. Yours are so similar to the ones I have from my grandmother. In fact, I have one exactly like the one on the right with the pansies around the border. I've always struggled over how to display them and this is perfect. I hope you don't mind if I borrow you idea. Thanks for sharing!

• Kimberlee parker

I think it looks fabulous! I would most definitely do this in my home.

• Your comment...