Ilene
Ilene
Asked on Mar 17, 2018

Going crazy! Chrome drip bowls on my stove

IleneJewellmartinSharon
+10

Chrome drip bowls were beyond saving. Bought new ones. No boil overs; I've cleaned up a small mess that got on one of them. Now, I see black spots that's won't come off. They are not like something has cooked on; just what look like black water marks. Any ideas how to prevent this? Thank you Hometalkers.

• Laura Cooper

Lol.... I don't know if it can be prevented. That's why I got the black enameled drip pans. There are foil drip pan liners you can get.
  • Jewellmartin

I could be wrong, but I think the replacement bowls are inferior to the originals. They will stain, scratch and change colors from the heat. I have sometimes bought extra bowls so that I can change them out when I want to. The bowl under the gas eye that we use the most gets washed at least once a week because it always looks dirty, even when it is not. I’m okay with it. ☺️
    • Ilene

Thank you. Your description sounds like my problem. If I can't find black pans I'll learn to live with it until I swap out the old for the new.
  • No way to prevent this. My mom used to wrap them in aluminum foil. Now they sell liners you can buy.
    • Ilene

Thank you. I might go the liner route, black pans, or live with it until I swap out for new...again.
  • Jlnatty

Do you have a vintage stove? I can't think of a reason why you would otherwise need to use drip pans! I've cooked with a wide variety (and vintage) of gas ranges for years and didn't use drip pans on any of them, and never had any problems. If I have a spill over, I clean up afterwards when things have cooled down a bit. As long as your enamel finish is intact, its probably a lot easier than cleaning the stuff manufacturers try to pawn off on us now days as good quality aluminum drip pans.
    • Ilene

Thank you. First time electric stove user. Always had commercial stoves; no drip pans or problems. Apartment living is something to get used to.
  • Sharon

Unfortunately the new ones these days have so little chrome on them they mark with the first wash. I add those foil liners to keep mine clean as long as possible, and just replace them when they are trashed
    • Ilene

Thank you. Hometalkers' suggestions have given me options.
  • Jewellmartin

If living with it, I suggest a really old way of doing it: cover the bowls with aluminum foil, shiny side up. Smooth the aluminum foil in the bowl, and wrap around the lip. You can change as often as you wish. ☺️
  • Ilene

Thanks to everyone. My question has been resolved!