Marcia Scott
Marcia Scott
  • Lake Villa, IL
Asked on Mar 17, 2018

Can I put down plywood plank flooring in a manufactured home?

Joy30150932MonaStuart
+13

I want to DIY a plywood plank floor, wondering if I should glue down or just nail?

• Sharon

My initial thoughts would be to nail it cause when you get tired of it and want to replace it.... it will be a whole lot easier to pull up than a glued floor.
    But with manufactured home, I would check in the crawl space to see how much wiring or plumbing might be where you might be nailing it before deciding to shoot nails into the floor. I would consult with the manufacturer on their advice.
    • Marcia Scott

I already thought about shooting a nail through something and will definitely be careful, thank you for your time

• TW

Your subfloor should be thick enough to allow you to nail down. If you have the option of nailing vs. gluing, my choice would be to go with the nail down---a whole lot easier and less messier than glue. This is with the consideration that you have a nail gun to do the installation. If you don't own one, you can usually rent them at HD or tool rental stores.
  • Stuart

Neither, use flooring that 'clicks' together, no nails, no glue, no fuss,
  • 2dogal

Yup- Neither. I installed floating laminate flooring in my manufactured home. It just clicks together. If you ever have to remove it, you will be glad you didn't glue it down!
  • Stuart

Great minds think alike, nailing through a trailer floor is just going to start a massive rusting process, if you live here in FLA>
  • Stuart

or better yet, use tile that looks like wood !
  • Mona

I did plywood plank floors through out our mobil using a nail gun. Was quick & easy & still looks good after 3 years
  • Joy30150932

Unless it is factory made with the edge to nail I would glue it down. It will make a great base for anything you might want to put down in the future.